PDA

View Full Version : adding acid

jim from sydney
Tue May 24, 2005, 04:38 AM
sydney water is alkaline mine reads about 7.6 from the tap. with 1 tank of 420 liters and another of 340 liters and a smaller breading tank of 140 liters and then the usual WC. i use a lot of acid to bring the pH down to about 6.8 in all the tanks. so where does every-one buy their pH down, or commercially is there a bulk product that will reduce the cost a bit??????
All my tanks have no plants and are bare bottom.
Jim

mistakes r crucial
Tue May 24, 2005, 08:06 PM
Jim,

I no longer use Ph down but when I did I was able to buy it in 1 or 5 Kg lots. Just ask your LFS to look for it on their wholesale price lists. From memory I think the 1Kg was about $18. I prefer Hydrochloric these days, 5 litres $8 treats about 100,000 litres.
MAC

jim from sydney
Tue May 24, 2005, 10:59 PM
can you buy HCl anywhere...i.e. poolshops???is it safe for discus tanks????Jim

mistakes r crucial
Wed May 25, 2005, 01:23 AM
It is Jim but be very careful and never add it directly to your tanks. Always prep your water in your aging tank/barrel, test it and then use it. My aging tank is 3000 litres and 120ml (tiny amount) takes my Ph from 7.6 to 6.8/9 depending on the day.

You can buy it from almost anywhere, hardware stores, pool shops etc. It takes a bit of practise getting the amounts right so do a few barrels, leave it over night and test again in the morning to make sure you've got it right and it hasn't shifted too much. Just be aware that hydrochloric acid is a dangerous and potent chemical and will burn through skin like a knife through butter.

Peat is a much safer option if you don't feel confident using Hydrochloric.
MAC

jim from sydney
Wed May 25, 2005, 02:51 AM
Mac....thanks i may stay with ph down (bulk buy) for a while.....Jim