PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating for 6 days

DR.V
Mon May 23, 2005, 12:51 PM
Hi all, I got one discus here that has been stop eating for 6 days now. It always stay at the back of the tank behind the driftwood. When I feed them, this one always stay at the back and never approach to the top front of the tank where i put all the food. Now i already put this discus on a tank by itself. What should I do with it?

Thanks

DR.V
Mon May 23, 2005, 02:13 PM
I noticed that the poo is milky white, now i already added Myxazin, this is the one with clown loaches on the label. Is this the right thing Im doing here?
Thanks

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 04:00 PM
The fact that the fish is not eating, and is having white droppings indicates hexemita, which will need to be treated by Metro.

How big is the tank that you have him in, and what other fish are in the tank at the moment.

You will need to get Metro from your vet.

DR.V
Tue May 24, 2005, 03:08 AM
it was in a comm tank with other 10 discus
now its in 2 ft tank by itself

Proteus
Tue May 24, 2005, 11:48 AM
DR.V, sorry for being a little off topic, where did you get the fish from?

DR.V
Wed May 25, 2005, 07:55 AM
I got it from Moses, his nick in this forum is mopondo ( may be ) . I think Matzilla got his Pigeon Blood from the same guy

DR.V
Wed May 25, 2005, 08:00 AM
I think its getting better now, coz i tried feed 6 pieces of tetra bits and after 1 night its already eaten ? Should i continue with medication ? or ??

Thanks all

ctvu
Wed May 25, 2005, 01:00 PM
Hi

Sorry, what med have u been using? is it Metro or Myxazin? As Ladyred it should be treated with Metro.
And eating is a good sign.

ctvu

Merrilyn
Wed May 25, 2005, 01:56 PM
Metro is definately what you need. Can you get some from your vet?

DR.V
Thu May 26, 2005, 07:47 AM
i use Metro, i dont know from where, my brother got it for me, but i think from vet :P

ctvu
Thu May 26, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hi Dr V

If you have been dosing for 3 days @ 6 ppm - 6 mg per litre plus your fish started eating which is very good sign.
Stop dosing Metro, but leave the temp about 33-35 C for another week then slowly turn it down.HTH

ctvu

DR.V
Thu May 26, 2005, 12:41 PM
until 35C ?? are sure it wont cook the fish ?
the highest i set my temp for sick fish in only 30C

dreamer
Thu May 26, 2005, 12:50 PM
keep it at 32c for better result ...there isnt a need to go extreme ...

Merrilyn
Thu May 26, 2005, 02:29 PM
Metro works best between 28 and 30 degrees.

Glad to hear your fish are improving.

Keep up the good work.

ctvu
Fri May 27, 2005, 12:32 AM
Hi Dr V and all

Currently I m treating my fish with Metro and I left the temp at 34 C. it worked for me before too. It is up to you totally.

HTH

ctvu

DR.V
Fri May 27, 2005, 03:58 AM
thanks for the info ctvu

nicholas76
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 12:23 AM
ok... 500mg per 10 gallons... every 8 hrs after 45% w/c until they are eating... then you SHOULD get them on metro food mix... meat mix with metro

dph.nil have a brilliant disease medication section on this.

ps - lady red, you may need to make sticky post on metro and related dieases.

cheers

nicholas76
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 12:32 AM
Hi Dr V

If you have been dosing for 3 days @ 6 ppm - 6 mg per litre plus your fish started eating which is very good sign.
Stop dosing Metro, but leave the temp about 33-35 C for another week then slowly turn it down.HTH

ctvu

I'd like to clarify a few things.

reptiles and mamals get hex... fish get Spironucleus vortens which is what your fish appears to have. Treating with metro , ( dimetronidazole ) is fine.

Now
temp 30 C / normal temp for that tank... Spironucleus is only killed at 98 F

temp increase only lowers O2 and stresses the fish more. :evil: Dont play with your temp.

leanne31
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 11:01 AM
My fish love it when I raise the temp on their tank I do it every now and again just to get rid of any nasties that might be around. I think they get more active and def want to eat more when I raise the temp.
And just another thing when my fish had hex I got in contact with my breeder (Rod Lewis from sunshine discus) as I was inexperienced back then and the first thing he told me to do was to raise the temp to around 34 degrees while he posted me out some metro and to keep it there antil all signs of the illness have gone and my fish totally recovered.Just a bit more info for you and just my opinion. :wink:

Leanne

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 09:52 PM
My fish love it when I raise the temp on their tank

Thats because you are rasing there metabolizim, i do raise the temp for juvenilles to 31-32 deegrees c. gets them eating and growing but i keep the temp at 29dc for adults that way if i have a problem i can raise it and have a distinct temp difference between normal and higher temps

reptiles and mamals get hex... fish get Spironucleus vortens

absolutly correct, although the common name being used by alot of people for Spironucleus vortens is HEX, even my vet called the problem that and then quickly mentioned exactley what you said

he said it is easier for the "lay-man" to say HEX, thats all