PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy fins - should I be worried?

Bill T.
Sun May 22, 2005, 09:01 AM
I just got back from a weekend away to find my two red turq's with (somewhat) cloudy fins, but otherwise O.K. I haven't had the time to test water chemistry but I will do tonight.

What has changed?

These two were dominant fish before I left, and the third, a pigeon blood, was getting picked on heaps. Now it looks like she is trying to lay eggs & chases the other two away from her corner - change of pecking order!

I think there has been some fighting going on - could this have caused stress &/or injury, and might the cloudy fins be a stress reaction?

Also, my auto fish feeder stopped working, so they were a bit hungry when I got home.

I plan to do a 30% water change tomorrow after work.

Bill T.
Sun May 22, 2005, 10:02 AM
Update:
She's a girl. My pigeon blood just laid a bucket load of eggs! The two red turq's seem rather disinterested - how old do they have to be before they can do the deed?

jim from sydney
Sun May 22, 2005, 10:13 AM
do a waterchange to-nite, and check parameters....food not critical you can leave adults for 2 weeks without food so thats no problem......some discus are mature after 10 months, but like all living things you cant force the issue, be patient and let things go "a-la-naturale"....Jim

Merrilyn
Sun May 22, 2005, 02:47 PM
Bill, it's just possible that they are all females.

Bill T.
Sun May 22, 2005, 11:08 PM
Merrilyn:
The thought has crossed my mind - three females in one tank!
What are your thoughts about the cloudy fins on my two turq's? - you know a bit about thier history by now.

Bill T.
Sun May 22, 2005, 11:09 PM
Ph = 6.8 (steady)
Ammonium & Nitrite = 0.

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 09:28 AM
'Can't be too much wrong with the conditions if you have them laying eggs.

I wouldn't use any meds at the moment. Just play a wait and see game.

Personally, I think everything is fine, but just watch.

Bill T.
Tue May 31, 2005, 09:29 AM
Update:
Merrilyn, if you are watching. I had to go to Canberra for a few days, got back on Sunday- all fish doing just fine. Their fins have cleared up but now have color developing. They look more "grown up".

Merrilyn
Tue May 31, 2005, 02:39 PM
Great news Bill Glad to hear it.