PDA

View Full Version : Seachem prime vs seachem safe

Katie
Sat May 21, 2005, 11:23 AM
I have been using Seachem prime for a long time now, but was wondering if safe would do a better job (am thinking about chloramine). Does anyone have any sugestions? With water conditions getting bad and things being added to it left right and center I want to make sure I am using the best thing possible for my little darlings :) :)

Btw- will have to post some new pics soon. My turqs have grown so much in the last couple of weeks. Plus I now have some new beauties care of Rod Lewis.

Fishpimpin73
Sat May 21, 2005, 05:09 PM
IMHO

Prime is the way to go.

Safe is a powdered alt to Prime, but Safe does not remove nitrate( according to the Seachem webby ).
I have been using Prime now for quite sometime and everything has benefited from it.

JM2C

Pimpin

Merrilyn
Sun May 22, 2005, 02:49 PM
Well Pimpin, if you're using Prime, that's good enough for me.

Fishpimpin73
Sun May 22, 2005, 04:59 PM
I was REALLY skeptical at first.

But when we were all in Denver at the ACA last year, I spent about 2 hours with the Seachem Rep talking about various products.

We started to talk about some of the issues that I had been having with some of my tanks, and he started telling me about some of the new or improved products that Seachem was working with.
The guys was SOOOO COOL that he sent me home with prolly a dozen different products to "Test".

Among them was PRIME.
I had been experiencing some on and off problems with BBA and other undesirables in my planted tanks and he rec'd that I use PRIME.
He GUARANTEED that if I used this product that it would help.
Because PRIME removes excess nitrates along with everything else,
It is 10x better ( IME ) than other water treatments.
Since using PRIME, I have not had any issues with BBA or any other undesirable nasties in my planted tanks.

I DEFF rec PRIME to anyone that is involved or begining in this hobby
:wink:

Proteus
Sun May 22, 2005, 10:33 PM
I use Prime, Water Ager ACN & Aqua Plus (not at the same time of course)

all are good IMO (never tried Safe, but I have heard Prime is the better option although a little more pricier)

Mattzilla
Sun May 22, 2005, 10:57 PM
i used to use prime all the time, then i got some safe powder. i started to have problems with my water and got sick fish....even lost a few. the only thing i had channged in my water mantenance was that i started using safe powder. i switched back to prime and everythign went back to normal. i now use ACN cause you have to use less for the same results

hth
matt

wild_amazon
Mon May 23, 2005, 05:15 AM
I've been using prime in the last two months. I think someone mentioned that seachem safe doesn't remove chloramine. I haven't check their information site though. Previously I didn't use anything but aged my water for a week. Had no problem. But now I change water more often so I decided to use prime.

Katie
Mon May 23, 2005, 08:08 AM
thanks guys, sticking with Prime then :) :) :)

ozarowana
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 04:45 AM
Just digging this thread back up, after some correspondence from seachem tech support.

Q. Am I correct to assume Prime and Safe are identical, except Prime detoxifies heavy metals and Safe does not?

Also the product information for Prime says "It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels", however it is not mentioned at all on the bottle label. Why is this so?

A. The way all dechlorinators remove small amounts of heavy metals is through precipitation. This was a side benefit to the chemicals that remove chlorine. It was never an intention of the product. The amount of heavy metals removed vary depending on a lot of variables, pH, temperature, concentrations of chlorine, and concentrations of heavy metals. This small amount is so variable and small that precise measurements are hard to get. Safe and Prime use the same chemicals so they both have a small effect on heavy metals. Some people worry about heavy metals and if you know that there are heavy metals in your water you will want to use a product that removes the heavy metals from your aquarium not just precipitating it to the bottom of your aquarium. I would recommend a product such as Cuprisorb. Or if they are really bad I would find a different water source.

Best Regards,
Seachem Tech Support~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc. www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q. Thank you for the information. So Prime and Safe are exactly the same?

A. Yes they are the same. Safe is a powder and Prime is a liquid.

Best Regards,
Seachem Tech Support~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc. www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~