PDA

View Full Version : Peatmoss in canister filters

jim from sydney
Thu May 19, 2005, 02:47 AM
I understand that discus enjoy peatmoss in canister filters it apparently makes the water softer. my LFS doesnt sell it and suggested a nursery...i am concerned about the wrong bacteria if purchased from a nursery. sydney water is soft anyway however i believe peatmoss makes the discus "feel closer to home"
any comments please??????Jim

Merrilyn
Thu May 19, 2005, 02:53 AM
You can also simply add blackwater extract for the same effect.

jim from sydney
Thu May 19, 2005, 02:55 AM
Ladyred...........what is that and how to do it?????Jim

Merrilyn
Thu May 19, 2005, 02:58 AM
Your local fish shop will sell bottles of blackwater extract. Simply add it to the tank. Sorry, can't give you any brand names, but they will know what you want.

jim
Thu May 19, 2005, 02:59 AM
From my understanding...peatmoss does not last long in the canister (you might have to open the canister and replace peatmoss every few weeks)...and it cost a bit in the long run..
why not just collect the rain water and it's so soft...it's free also...you can just add 1/3 or 1/2 rain water when you do water change...
what does everyone think...

jim
Thu May 19, 2005, 03:05 AM
I also use blackwater extract...(i am too lazy to collect rain wate..)..I add some in my aging water tank...but I can not see any difference anyway...

I heard soft and low PH water does help to improve hatching rate....as I am not breeding any discus...I won't buy anymore blackwater extract after I finish my 1 ltr bottle...

jim from sydney
Thu May 19, 2005, 03:15 AM
rainwater sounds the cheapest way but is it safe, especially after long dry spells i guess we would have a lot of "rubbish" in the rainwater. is blackwater really making any difference???????Jim

jim
Thu May 19, 2005, 03:28 AM
I know someone wgo live in killara collect rain water for water change...he says no matter how polluted rain water,,,still better than sydney tap water...
as for blackwater extract...I can not see any different in my tank...especially I do not have any test kit for that....but my discus are just as happy regardless I put blackwater extract or not...

jim from sydney
Thu May 19, 2005, 03:42 AM
Jim......from one Jim to another Jim......thanks :P

jwight
Thu May 19, 2005, 03:00 PM
About rain water. Depending where you live depends on the quality. cities are worse specially sydney or melbourne. I have also had a friend that used rainwater and there was oil from paint on the roof and it chocked the fish to death.

jwight
Thu May 19, 2005, 03:05 PM
Also youve all gone soft. There home is a bare bottom tank in Asia. They have never seen the amazon or had waters anywhere near it. But I get where you are coming from.

Discus Dan
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 12:38 AM
I put some peat moss in my filter, but I washed it before adding to the filter in a sock. A bit of loose matter came out when I turned the filter back on, but that cleared after a few minutes. Seems to be doing the trick.

Erk
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:06 PM
Does most LFS carry peatmoss or where do you have to go to get some in general? I testing my kH and gH last night, which is something I never really did before, and the kH=4 and the gH=8...is this ok?

Thanks