PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filtration VS. Centralised filtration

goldenpigeon
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:02 AM
hi ya'll..... whats crankin?

i will be setting up a fish room soon and need to start planning it out. it will be for breeding and growing out. i know the best breeding set up but for grow outs i am drawn to both types. i am planning on having mostly 6x2x2's to make things easier but i could quite possibly have 8 or more tanks. the number of fish will obviously vary from time to time but i feel that i need to plan for the times when the set up is most heavily stocked.

here is the thing:

CENTRALISED FILTRATION (sump)
. from what i know it is easy to use
. can hold a large bio load
. would mean w/c are easier
. 1 filter doing the whole set up
. and i think it would do a better job - more water turn over

- would cost more to set up
- a bit more technical (which i love :D) but still
- if a fish is sick the whole lot could be affected before i can do anything

SPONGE FILTRATION
. easy to use
. easy to set up
. relatively inexpensive
. does a pretty good job
. disease confined to the tank

- many units needed for large tanks
- not as much water turnover
- have to w/c every tank seperatly

which way would be my best bet?

thanx in advance :D

DR.V
Thu May 19, 2005, 10:23 AM
i use sump , yay ^-^
because you dont have to clean it so aften

Sutto
Thu May 19, 2005, 01:42 PM
IMHO Opinion i would use a mixed system - E.G.

For Larger grow out tanks (E.G. the 6x2x2's) I would run them 2 or 3 to a Sump (With several different sumps). Then for your breeding tanks (Say 2'x18"x18"... Dont know much about Discus but they seem a good size) 2 or 3 Large Sponge Filters.

HTH,
-Sutto

mistakes r crucial
Thu May 19, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hi Golden,

I've been running around 7500 litres on 2 sumped systems for the last 18 months and I have found definite advantages and disadvantages.

If I had my time again and was in a position right now to insulate my fish room and heat it externally I would. However, I would still plumb all tanks to accomodate water changes, it has made life so much easier. We are able to change 3000 litres of water in 15-20 minutes, saves hours and hours of maintenance time. The disadvantages you've already mentioned, one's got it, they've all got it but you can have the best of both worlds. If you want to bounce some ideas around please give me a shout, we went through severe amounts of pain setting our systems up and its one big learning curve. Take a look at as many fish rooms as you can, I was advised to, didn't and regret it!
MAC

goldenpigeon
Thu May 19, 2005, 10:52 PM
thanx DR.V, Sutto and Mac,
yer sutto i already am breeding the discus but i will need a bigger set up soon. i need to thing about it now so i can plan it out accordingly.

i have ample insulated space so that factor is not a problem and i will definetly plumb in a w/c system but i have asked G&S aquarium about what they think (i have visited them at home a couple of times before and they have their breeding set up on a sump) and they said to put all the tanks on individually which i would love to do but there is the problem with all the heaters im gonna need, all the air lines going in every direction ect ect.

i know that if i used sumps ect i would put sponge filters in anyway because if i had to disconect a tank for what ever reason i have several cycled and established filters.

i need to find out more about external heating (is it relativly easy + cost effective)?

PS: Mac do you know many fish rooms in QLD that i could look at. i have already planned to lok at my options before i go head first into this.

thanx ya'll :D

Fishpimpin73
Fri May 20, 2005, 02:17 AM
Personal preference is for individual system filtration.

But that is just me.

I don't mind giving each tank its own bit of personal attention.

And since I don't do the whole bare bottom "stock" tank setup, It gives me time to do the other little bits o' maint that each tank requires.

Even my breeders could be display tanks :P

BUT

If you are going solely for discus...........
Then you would benefit more from a full on plumbed system with inline UV and if we are going to do it lets throw the RO unit inline also with a holding tank equal to MAX waterchange + 1/3 ( just in case ).
Automate the whole sys.
Set it up for bi-daily flush of 25 to 50%

Ok

Serious face now.

The only thing that I would rec would be that you have a seperate sys for INCOMMING stock.

That way they can be QT'd, disinfected, and inoculated before introduction to the breeders/grow out.

Just my 2 cents.

mistakes r crucial
Fri May 20, 2005, 04:43 AM
There's a stack of 'em Golden, at least half a doz on the Gold Coast. The owner of the Cichlid forum is a very nice bloke and I'm sure he would let you take a look. Doug, dont know his surname, an exceptional breeder of Africans is also on the Goldie and a very nice guy. Just let me know when you are ready and I'll see what I can do. You are more than welcome to come take a look at our set up here on the Coast, wouldn't hurt you to get out of that rat race down there for a while lol! Two mates of mine have rooms up here, one with about 20 tanks and the other one about 60-80. Main thing is have fun doing it mate, lot of work and frustrating at times but one h*ll of a feeling when you've finished it.
MAC

goldenpigeon
Fri May 20, 2005, 04:50 AM
thanx Mac,
i love DIY so thats no prob. i'd love to have a look at your set up and your mates ones. im free when ever so what ever suit you :D

PS: i think every1 would be suprised how the gold coast actually is easy to get around! i live on acreage anyway (but very close to town!).

anyway thanx Mac! :D ur a champ!