PDA

View Full Version : Second spawn

Essayons89
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 12:21 AM
w00t!

My young pair have spawned again.

I know that it is difficult to do but since I am off for a few weeks rcovering from hernia surgery I am strongly considering pulling the eggs so they don't eat them.

I fill the 10g up with water from the parent's tank. I have an established filter to use and the heater on the ten gallon only needs to be bumped up a few degrees to the temp of the parent's tank. I have an airpump and tubing so I can keep current over the eggs. A culture of infusoria is already available.

What else?

Should I even attempt it? They will spawn again. I've been able to raise angels succesfully. What would I be in for?

Thanks,
Bryan

Proteus
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 01:47 AM
...Bry, maybe we can have a bit of a challenge...

see who has to endure the most attempts before little wiggly things appear...

I am up to 9 or 10 I think...

(well my SS is anyway)

Essayons89
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 02:08 AM
Ro, I had wigglers on the first spawn but they ate them within a day.

I was hoping to avoid that this time around. Then again, I also want to give them every chance to raise them on their own.

I don't really know what I want to do yet. :?

Bryan

luvfishies
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 03:49 AM
Bry, why not pull some eggs, and leave some for the parents? That way you will have the best chance of getting some wigglers.

Good luck feeding them though, as it's hard to replicate the parental slime coat!

flukes
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 04:01 AM
Also if you want to hatch the eggs without the parents use an anti-fungal product from keeping them from being covered in fungas.

Read this link for more info

http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/freshref/discusfry.html

It cant hurt to try.

Good luck
Scott

P.S - Also i like the idea of leaving some for the parents justincase they decide not to eat them this time.

Essayons89
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 04:08 AM
I used a combination of current over the eggs and Methylene Blue for the angel eggs. I didn't lose many to fungus.

I think that I may just leave them in there. I'm not feeling brave enough to attempt it. Feeding the little ones is my biggest worry.

What I am thinking of doing is this. I have a 75g tank that is being set up for my discus. It's a community tank though- discus, my congo tetras and some Zamora wood cats. I think that I may leave the pair in this 40g breeder after the rest are moved and set the tank up to easier facilitate breeding.

Sound like a plan?

Flukes, thanks for the article-good read.

Bryan

flukes
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 04:12 AM
no prbs i had a mate of mine try it but as someone stated it is hard to feed them.

Essayons89
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 04:19 AM
Yeah, I have heard the same thing on more than one occasion. These are some young fish. They are just under a year old but all they eat is frozen foods. I read that discus become sexually mature between 18 to 24 months of age but if they are well-fed that they can become sexually as early as 12 months.

I have some early bloomers. ;)

Bryan

Proteus
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 04:21 AM
Bry, my Pair who dont have a clue would be approx 14-16mths old, and they have been actively spawning now for a few months...

One day they will get it right, just hopefully before I need a walking frame

lol

Essayons89
Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:16 AM
Wigglers!!

The eggs hatched this evening, there has to be at least a hundred of them. I haven't seen the parents chow down on any yet and they are fanning them and moving the fungused eggs away. They didn't last a day last time. We'll see. :?

Bryan

Proteus
Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:20 AM
My fingers are crossed for you Bry....

Congrats

*w00t*

Essayons89
Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:22 AM
One of them has been eating the wigglers that broke away and floated from the driftwood they are attached to.

Thanks!

luvfishies
Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:45 AM
OMG OMG OMG!!!! Sounds like they are on the right track this time!

*fingers, eyes, and toes crossed*

Essayons89
Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:47 AM
Just don't sprain anything. ;)

Now where is that Annie at? "Our" babies are here!! :shock:

Bryan