PDA

View Full Version : 4ft Amazon Biotope tank

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 09:19 AM
Currently inhabited by 4 Blue Diamonds, & 2 Leopard Snakeskins...

http://www.mollyman.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=298

http://www.mollyman.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=299

flukes
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 09:25 AM
very nice mate,
As i always ask when i see pics can we get the water specs, lighting and use of Co2??

Cheers mate looks great
Scott

Also where did you get those rocks from??

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 09:30 AM
Lighting, 2 x 36w 4 ft tubes, 6500k spectrum, nothing fancy (DIY job attached to hood)

pH typically 6.2-6.8 (Sera peat granules in mesh bags in AquaClear filters on the back) 2 x AC300 (actually 1 x AC300 & 1 x AC500 at the moment) plus two air powered sponge filters.

I have used a couple of Hagen Co2 units on this tank in the past, to get the plants going, but now that the 2 Amazon swords have taken off i have removed the Co2...

Just wait till you see my next project...

I want to replicate a slice of the Amazon in a 225g (800L) tank and have 10-20 Discus in there with a custom filtration system, RO unit and UV steriliser...

discusdude
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 09:31 AM
I wouldnt call that a Biotope.... But it sure is a nice tank :D Discus originate from black water, there arent many plants in there.

Alistair

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 09:35 AM
aside from the far right end, you wont get anymore plants in there, and the water is as close to blackwater as can be obtained naturally here anyway... :wink:

the tannins in the water, plus additives I place in there give the water a very dark look... mind you this pic was taken a few weeks back, the plants have really exploded...

Essayons89
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 11:30 AM
Awesome tank my friend!

Bryan

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 11:51 AM
bet it looks familiar to you though.... lol

Lex
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 01:13 PM
Thats a great looking tank!

is there any articles i can read to setup a tank like this?
Btw .. what is a halogen co2 unit?
Sorry im a bit new to this.

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 01:15 PM
Lex, thanks...

I will putting together some articles over the next 2-3 days, so will go more into it then...

btw, it is a HAGEN Co2 unit (as in Hagen brand, the company who make Aquaclear filters... :wink: )

Cory21
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:20 PM
Beautiful tank MM! :wink:

Lily
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 01:05 PM
OMG those swords are HUGE! They look fantastic, as does the whole tank.

What are the dimensions of an 800L tank? the mind boggles...

Proteus
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 01:18 PM
My 800L+ tank is currently set up elsewhere, as it wont fit in my apartment without the help of a crane... it is 72" x 30" x 24" (6ft x 2.5ft x 2ft)... and the swords are huge, I cant wait to get them into a larger tank.... I have a 650L tank arriving on Monday (temporary compensation for not being able to set up the bigger tank) and the swords will be going in there... (6ft x 2ft x 2ft)

Lily
Sun Feb 29, 2004, 01:58 AM
LOL the 800L tank sounds like it has a bigger floorplan than my first house did :)

flukes
Sun Feb 29, 2004, 02:19 AM
Just a meantion if you want amazon swords as big as that make an order from aquaria australia, they are a perth based company and i bought 2 swords of them they called large, there was also x-large, and the stuck out the top of my tank (18"), all the plants i got off them where huge and healthy just if you want plants these are the guys to get them off and if you spend over $55 (which aint hard) then frieght is free.

Proteus - If this post breaks any rules just delete. not sure about policy on meantion other company's.

Cheers
scott

Proteus
Sun Feb 29, 2004, 08:08 AM
Scott for advice like that, no problem at all... plus we dont have any plant sponsors or partners at this stage...

but if ever you come acroos a good deal, or great service, let us all know...

kevkoi
Sun Feb 29, 2004, 09:31 AM
We are actually quite price competitive with them with certain plants.... Our swords in the shop are very very reasonably priced ($7.95- $14.98 for various colour morph swords.... Currently we have large Red Flame swords (emersed grown so u won't lose all the leaves!), Ozelot swords, glossostigma... Nuphar sp. "Spatterdock" etc.

We've always got a good selection of swords in our Discus planted display tank.... Good prices and good sizes. Also, if you're in Sydney, u get to pick and choose! Oh, and if you come in on Saturday, u can talk to Uncle Pete!... our resident plant Guru. :lol:

flukes
Sun Feb 29, 2004, 11:42 AM
ah sorry kev,
i'll have to get some off you next time, strictly discus this time :lol:

Scott

DiscusMan
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 07:00 AM
Scott is right in what he says here.

If you want plants, aquaria is the place to get them.

Email them if you want big ones adn when they are in stock they will let you know. The picture i posted of my tank. The two big mazons and the 3 radicans all come from them adn they were only 7.95 each!!!! i got them about 6 weeks ago.

They are fast to ship fast to reply to emails. Great service all round!

No i dont work for them

DiscusMan

flukes
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 09:19 AM
They are great and for $7.95 the sword was poking out the top of my tank!! i also i got some java moss to cover a log with and is swear for $1.99 it was about the size of 2 tennis balls, more than enough.
Also when i order stuff over the net iam a bit of a hassel like asking too many questions and making sure everything is perfect. (Kev knows) and they replied to all my emails with great service. Aquaria for plants and SLS for discus, iam not dealing with anymore interstate now, both these companies were great with service and quality for money.

Cheers
Scott