PDA

View Full Version : lights....during parenthood

poppy
Tue May 17, 2005, 04:59 PM
What do most people recommend........??

I have heard to leave a light on 24 / 7 during egg / wriggler / free swimming stages of development but I am worried mum and dad wont have a cahnce to rest / sleep and will get cranky??

any ideas

Poppy

sunshinediscus
Tue May 17, 2005, 08:04 PM
Don't worry poppy, the discus will still get thier rest even if you decide to go 24/7 lighting. It doesn't affect them at all.

poppy
Tue May 17, 2005, 09:49 PM
thanks

good to know

poppy

leanne31
Wed May 18, 2005, 02:29 AM
It doesnt have to be the main aquarium light poppy you can put a lamp next to the tank as a small night light.

Leanne

jim from sydney
Mon May 23, 2005, 07:13 AM
yep...what about those cheapy night-lights for they are low watts and cheap to run...JIm

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 09:48 AM
Something like that wouldn't be bright enough, unless it was right next to the tank. A small table lamp with a shade would be good.

mtchye
Mon May 23, 2005, 10:29 AM
Sorry for the newbie q.. what is the purpose of lights 24/7?

DR.V
Mon May 23, 2005, 01:14 PM
to help the parents monitor all the eggs and wriggler

sxyrollaboy
Tue May 31, 2005, 09:40 AM
okay but if i was to use a 2 foot tank as my breeding tank... is it too much light if i just left the 2 foot fluro running??

Also... what exactly else is needed??

Just the breeding cone and the sponge filter... what else goes in the sponge filter???

obviously a heater is still needed and all too.

Matt.

Merrilyn
Tue May 31, 2005, 10:13 AM
And that's it Matt. Nothing else. The simpler the better. You will be doing lots of water changes in that tank, so you want to make things easy for yourself.

You can leave the tank light on if you don't have anything else, but perhaps shade one end of it with cardboard to cut down the glare.

sxyrollaboy
Tue May 31, 2005, 10:16 AM
Oh okay then...

Hmmm bit worried about shading off a light that would be on all the time with cardboard... Hmmm...

Is there a way to PM you man??? Just there's so many things i want to ask... i don't want to crowd the forum.

lesxda
Tue May 31, 2005, 10:57 AM
I have a small light that goes into the tank
I have put it in the 4 glazed potts thats I have and it gives a nice light glow over the tank so when I walk in I don't frieghten them.. and I can spy on them as well

les

Merrilyn
Tue May 31, 2005, 10:58 AM
Sure, you can send a PM via the box next to my profile in the post above.

But, you're always welcome to ask questions on the forum. Others are probably thinking the same thing too.

ctvu
Tue May 31, 2005, 12:04 PM
Oh okay then...

Hmmm bit worried about shading off a light that would be on all the time with cardboard... Hmmm...

Is there a way to PM you man??? Just there's so many things i want to ask... i don't want to crowd the forum.

Hi

We don't mind PM at all. But the more you ask the more we - all of us - learn.

ctvu

chris
Sat Jun 04, 2005, 11:14 AM
I understand its good to use a light to help the fry find the parents, the parents can find the fry etc etc but, in the wild they dont use one :!:
Im only saying that because mine had free swimmers without any light at night. but I didnt wont to breed them just yet.
I spose we are trying to maximize our stock :!:

leanne31
Sat Jun 04, 2005, 11:26 AM
Chris thats not the only reason for a light you should keep it on 24hrs for a while so the fry can feed 24hrs so you can get maximum growth from your fish.

Leanne

jim from sydney
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 05:04 AM
I have a small light that goes into the tank
les
interesting Les...what sort is it???Jim

Sindhu
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 04:25 PM
There's a Hong Kong breeder that leaves the lights on 24/7 so that the it helps get rid of the bars on fries and juvs.