PDA

View Full Version : wouldn't it be nice ?????

jim from sydney
Tue May 17, 2005, 03:02 AM
To all those experts in our forum.

I am new to breeding discus and am ready to start.
I think i have everything set up roaring to go.
Well not me personally.....but the discus ofcourse.
Now one problem......i have collected sooooooooooo much data that i am getting confused.
It is posiible for one of our many experts to write a good summary from start to finish re- breeding, based on their own experience??????
I know their are many websites but i have found that lots talk a little about many things , however none talk about start to finish in a good summarised format.
Come on experts how about it??????
Your expertise would be greatly appreciated by the inexperienced like me
Thanks.....JIm

DR.V
Tue May 17, 2005, 03:44 AM
well i keep my pair in a cube tank 50cmX50cmX40cm , i keep the water level at 35cm. i only use a sponge filter , and use clay cone. I dont use PVC pipe. water change is everyday to trigger spawning, make sure u got drop in water temp by 1-2 degree. After the babies 4 weeks old, move them to other tank, then the parents ready for spawning again. Thats all

flukes
Tue May 17, 2005, 09:27 AM
Sounds so simple! but its not..

DR.V
Tue May 17, 2005, 01:34 PM
yeah , some pair eat their eggs. Hate them !

Dee
Tue May 17, 2005, 01:41 PM
Hi All :)

Well said Flukes :wink: ... breeding can be tricky, but if you can get a good grip on the basics you should be able to get your discus spawning.

Just my 2cents worth, but it may be a good idea to get some books on discus breeding basics and take it from there. There's always books on ebay, just do a search for "discus book" and there should be a few on breeding up for grabs. Alternativly being in Sydney you could join the ADA (Australian Discus Association) as I'm sure there would be many people with great info on breeding and general discus keeping, plus they would know spawning tips when using Sydney water ... the local knowledge would be invaluable IMO. I know if we had a group such as the ADA in Melb I would join up !

Cheers,

Dee :)

Merrilyn
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:22 PM
Jim, that's a really good question. I'll put a basic How To post together over the next couple of days and put it in here.

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 09:55 PM
Jim, that's a really good question. .

Hi Jim

That is what I thought, I have not bred any yet but it would be great to learn the new things.

ctvu

Merrilyn
Tue May 17, 2005, 10:43 PM
Okay, I'll work on it today :D

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 10:53 PM
Hi LR and all

I know you are the best of the best. Any objection? :)
Million thanks to LR and any input.

ctvu

jim from sydney
Wed May 18, 2005, 02:00 AM
Okay, I'll work on it today :D

Ladyred......great thanks....it is like being a father all over again......JIm

jim from sydney
Mon May 23, 2005, 07:08 AM
Jim, that's a really good question. I'll put a basic How To post together over the next couple of days and put it in here.

Ladyred......have you had any luck with any progress yet????...Jim

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 09:43 AM
Should be finished tonight Jim. Three forums keep me pretty busy LOL

jim from sydney
Mon May 23, 2005, 10:39 AM
I know you are a busy person......dont feel pushed, we are just so interested in your findings :roll: ........thanks....Jim

lesxda
Sun May 29, 2005, 08:26 AM
HI Guys Just a added question

I have a ?????? pair and my female spawns every 6 days,,,,,,,, in 3 days they go dark and they eat them...

not sure about the male,,,, if he is male or not... but he is only 8-9 mths

any help........

les

Merrilyn
Mon May 30, 2005, 07:50 AM
Les, if the eggs stay dark, it sounds like they are fertile. One way to find out, is to slip a cage over the cone to prevent them from eating the eggs. They should be hatching by the third day, and you should start to see little black wrigglers clinging to the cone.

Are they in a community tank, or a breeding tank.

Your male may just be a bit too immature at 9 months. My best success is with pairs at about 14 to 18 months. They seem to be less inclined to eat the eggs, and make better parents.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. :P

jim from sydney
Mon May 30, 2005, 09:13 AM
Les....good luck :P ...keep us posted...Jim

lesxda
Mon May 30, 2005, 12:29 PM
I will inform the group of all the new events.
les