http://www.pbase.com/cmdr_roy/image/43471157.jpg

Roy

leanne31
Tue May 17, 2005, 12:23 AM
That looks very good Roy good work. :lol:

Leanne

Roy
Tue May 17, 2005, 12:55 AM
Hey all, here is a pic of my tank that i took this morning before coming to work.
Im still getting plants and adding them as i go. At the moment im running a CO2 injection system that you can see on the left hand side. Filtration is a JEBO cannister filter, 900 or 1000 lts/hr, cant remember the exact specs. I have a variety of plants, some on driftwood, my favourite is the Anubias on the right hand side, the wood has a hole running from the top to the bottom and forms a little cave underneath.

You may notice that there are no discus in the tank at the moment, this will be rectified in July when i build up some cash. Im going to go to OAFI and prob get 4 juvies to start with.

At the moment there are 2 Clown Loaches, 3 Bristlenose and 20 Cardinals (which i got on the weekend from OAFI).

I checked all the water parameters on the weekend, zero Ammonia and Nitrites :D pH is steady at about 6.5, has been for quite a while and im assuming its the CO2 doing that. Lighting is one 4ft quad phosphour tube and one 2ft bio lux tube.

One problem i do have at the moment is a high Gh level, about 200ppm. What do people recommend to soften the water ??

Roy

leanne31
Tue May 17, 2005, 01:31 AM
Hi roy did you double check that gh test as I was under the impression Melbourne had very soft water but if your water readings are correct I think the only way of softening it is with a ro unit.

Leanne

Roy
Tue May 17, 2005, 11:45 AM
I will check the levels again later this week, see if they have changed.
Ive heard of water softening pillows ??

Roy

DR.V
Tue May 17, 2005, 01:36 PM
use peat moss to soften water, peat moss brings down kH, i think kH and gH is a bit similar??

Merrilyn
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:32 PM
Check the water out of the tap after it has been standing for 24 hours, then check the water in the tank. If there is a big difference in the readings, something in the tank is causing an increase in the GH. It could be gravel or rocks.

Harder water is fine for raising discus, especially juveniles, but you do need to know what is causing it.

kalebjarrod
Fri May 20, 2005, 09:51 PM
nice tank roy

goldenpigeon
Fri May 20, 2005, 11:28 PM
like all the plants! great 1! :D

Plats
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:06 PM
You have probably picked the best Discus store in Melb. I have 8 Discus from OAFI and Mr. Mack gives good, solid advice. A question about your CO2, was it DIY or name brand?

Roy
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:22 AM
For the CO2 i bought two of the Nutrafin packs off eBay, just to see how it went.
Im almost out of the little packets so im going to start up my own mixture soon.
I have since put in some more plants, get some variety in there.
Actually did a mass planting last night with Lillapeosis (sp?) grass on the right hand side.
Will get an updated photo over the weekend and put it up.
Im almost ready to buy some discus :D

Roy

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 05:20 AM
Roy and Plats, are you coming to the get together for all the Melbourne Discus folk saturday week at my house.

Check out the thread in the lounge for more info.

All welcome. BYO drinks.

Roy
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:22 AM
I will be there on sat arvo, but have to leave about 4 as i have a party sat night :D

Updated photo:

http://www.pbase.com/cmdr_roy/image/45410014.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/cmdr_roy/image/45410046/large.jpg

Had a bit of an algae bloom last week but managed to scrub most of it out. Im thinking of getting some SAE soon to help out, would be nice :D
Also its almost time to get some actual discus !!! Thinking of picking up 4 juvies in the next two weeks from OAFI.

Roy

axl
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 11:00 AM
Hey,
nice looking tank coming along nicely. I was wondering what is that plant on the left of the that anabius is it giant hygro
cheers axl

Roy
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 12:19 AM
Just thought i would put in an updated photo of the tank !

http://www.pbase.com/cmdr_roy/image/46862326.jpg

Ive moved a few things around and added some more fish.
Also added an 11w UV a few weeks ago.
Tank is crystal clear, not that it wasnt before :D
Having to trim the plants on a weekly basis, they grow so much !!
Just running DIY co2 and have AZOO fertilizer red balls in the gravel.
Also been adding liquid fertz once a week.

Roy

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 01:16 AM
Roy, that tank is looking wonderful. You've done a fabulous job. :thumb

duck
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 05:34 AM
your tank is looking good and healthy

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 09:22 AM
thats really starting to take shape :wink:

jim from sydney
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 10:50 AM
Roy......TOPS PAL.......Jim

Roy
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys, and Ladies of course ;)

Roy

AussieStar
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 10:53 AM
yea your tank is really nice, do u add ferts?

Roy
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:46 AM
Just liquid fertz once a week.
Also have some of the AZOO red substrate balls in there, no idea how long they last.
Might have to dig around in the gravel and check :D

Roy

DR.V
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:27 AM
Nice tank ! Its so green and healthy.

^_^

mcloughlin2
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 08:08 AM
Lookin good :thumb ...wat is the tall plant that is on the left next to the anubis...??

Roy
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 10:07 AM
Umm prob Hygro, im trimming it back once a week, keeps growing !

Roy