PDA

View Full Version : rummys breeding!

jluna
Fri Apr 02, 2004, 10:38 PM
morning!

i woke up this morning to find my rummy-nose tetras spawning!! very excited, not because there'll be any babies, as the males were making short work of the eggs, but because it speaks well for my water quality to have ANY tetra spawning!

and the discus were completely unfazed by the event, as the eggs were far too small for them to eat. it's quite a spectacle, though, with each ripe female being chased by a group until she turns silver side up and starts dropping eggs among the anubius leaves - ah, nature!!

have a good one

justin

luvfishies
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 03:52 AM
Ahhhh, excellent! I love the flitter of little finnies!

My pencilfish have been doing the same as your rummies ever since I added DIY CO2 to their tank...but the angels have been feasting, I think ;)

jluna
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 06:43 AM
how bizarre - i've kept rummys for eons and this is only the second bunch i've seen spawning - and i've got diy co2 in this tank too...wonder if it's the trigger, and if so, why??

justin

nornicle
Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:18 PM
probably the increasing softness and steady decrease of pH? + plants taking nitrogenous waste out of the water?

flukes
Sat Apr 10, 2004, 12:38 PM
maybe Co2 is like our alcohol, ahhhh nothing like liquid/gas persuasion!!
heheh

Congrats Mel, wish i could get some scotish rummies for my tank, they would look nice, swmming around with their kilts..