PDA

View Full Version : Compatability

kazkirk
Sun May 15, 2005, 06:46 PM
As Ive said before, Im getting a 125 gallon next saturday (*swoon*) and plan to (eventually) make it a planted discus (as soon as I figure out how to keep the water as teh desired parameters). I have some fish right now in my 80 gallon, which Ill be selling asap. My question is, can I keep the fish I have or do they have to find a new home. Here is the list

12 black neon tetras
6 rainbow sharks
5 angels (I think these are the guys that are going to be an issue)
3 three spot gouramis
1 big old pleco

Can these handle the heat, will they bother the discus (sorry, once again, my question mark key doesnt work) My water sits at 82 right now (huge lights for my plants but no fan). Everyone seems happy and the gouramis make babies like noones business.

Thanks for the help
Karen

leanne31
Tue May 17, 2005, 12:58 AM
Hi Karen the black neons will be fine I have these in my tank and at the moment the water is on 85 but Ive had it a lot higher with no prob. I think the gouramis and the pleco will be fine but I dont think rainbow sharks would be a good idea nor the angels a lot of people do have angels but I suppose it depends on the size of them and the size of the discus your gonna get hope that helps a bit

Leanne

Nat
Wed May 25, 2005, 01:16 AM
I have rainbow sharks in with my discus and they don't bother the discus at all. But I wouldn't put the angels in.

Merrilyn
Wed May 25, 2005, 03:14 PM
With the exception of the Angels, everything else will be fine.

Good luck with that big beautiful tank. :P

Blue
Wed May 25, 2005, 10:59 PM
What is your prob's with angels?

I know they are greedier eaters bthan the discus but that is no reason to leave them out. I'd get shot of the sharks, the gourami's and the big old pleco.

Replace the sharks with C. Haraldschultzi or C. Sterbai and the big old pl*co with some Otocinclus Sp. and all will be fine.

Just make sure your filtration and water change are up toi scratch.

Barry

Liverpool liverpool liverpool, liverpool liverpool liverpool, liverpool liverpool liverpool,

liverpool

LIVERPOOL.

kazkirk
Thu May 26, 2005, 04:24 AM
sharks have a new home in my friends 90 gallon. His 5 yr old daughter was delighted with the new arrivals!

Big ol' pleco, Im so attached to him! Ive had him for 6 yrs now, he is my buddy through thick and thin! Does he really have to go! He has never bothered any fish, angels, gouramis, tiny little neon tetras. He is enjoying the fine white sand right now though, he plays in it a lot (is this normal!) and rearranges things. He stirs it up, sends poop flying, gets caught in the current and into the filter, he is doing a great job!

Merrilyn
Thu May 26, 2005, 06:58 AM
Kaz, your dear old Pleco will be fine in with the discus. It would be a terrible shame to part with him.

Blue, the reason we don't like to keep angels with our discus, is that they see to have a stronger immune system than the Discus.

For some reason, they can appear quite healthy in a tank, but the moment you put a discus in with them, the discus will come down with something, sometimes fatal.

Having said that, I do keep Altum Angels in with my discus in an 8 foot display tank, but they were very carefully quarantined before they went in with
the discus. So far, I haven't experienced any probems, but I hear a lot of stories of people who have had problems.

lesley
Thu May 26, 2005, 07:49 AM
Kaz,

I keep plecos with my discus and have had no problems. They keep the tank sparkling clean and free of algae and any leftover good. It is really funny to watch my bigger one hoover along the bottom. The discus don't want to move and he just keeps going. He pushes under them and they rise up and then slide back down again as he goes past.

They do need driftwood to keep healthy and I find that if they have that and algae they don't bother the discus.

Have enclosed a couple of pics of the bigger one. The others are not co-operating and all hiding from the camera.

lesley
Thu May 26, 2005, 07:55 AM
and

lesley
Thu May 26, 2005, 08:02 AM
and

Merrilyn
Thu May 26, 2005, 08:34 AM
Beautiful looking tank, and gorgeous fish.

Thanks for sharing.

Blue
Thu May 26, 2005, 10:02 PM
If you would like a planted tank, and when I say planted, I mean dutch style where the plants are the feature and the fish are a compliment then you will not succeed with your big ol pl*co.
Obviously you dont want her to go, so you may have to rethink your future plans.

Anubias sp. and Java ferns attached to woods will not float off every time your friend turns around.

How big is she? She looks about 15+ inch

It is totally normal for her to play in the sand and this is the problem.
Your planted discus tank doesn't want to have the sand tossed around, plants have a tendency to float to the surface when the substrate is not holding them down. They also do not appreciate being crushed by the clumsy movement. you may as well run your hand through the gravel and then lay your forearm on the top just for good measure.

All you have to do is decide if you want the Pl*co or the plants.

Barry

kazkirk
Fri May 27, 2005, 02:23 AM
The planted mess of a tank from where this fish is comming from (my old 80 gallon). Plants are his home territory :)

After the next month or two Ill see how he behaves himself and see if he is allowed to stay.

leanne31
Sat May 28, 2005, 02:55 AM
Is it only me that cant see the above pictures.

Leanne

kalebjarrod
Sat May 28, 2005, 03:05 AM
if you want a fully planted tank the pleco will disturb the plats to much

but that just gives you the excuss to get a tank just for plecos :D

DR.V
Mon May 30, 2005, 10:25 AM
How do u manage to get that piece of driftwood flying ?? in pic 47b4dc28b3127cce9b3b3480215a00000016108Ect3Ddmzag. jpg

kazkirk
Mon May 30, 2005, 03:12 PM
That driftwood refuses to sink. 5 years later and its still a floater. Now its tied to a brick. Its annoying!

Merrilyn
Tue May 31, 2005, 12:19 AM
Well it may be annoying, but it looks fabulous :D

Shawnts106
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 05:01 AM
I know no one has replied to this topic in ages.. BUT did you ever try to boil the wood? It works for me.. If it still wont sink then get some Malasian Driftwood and boil it a few times.. not so that it will sink, just to leach the tanins out! it works! LOVE THAT MALASIAN!

Littlefish
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:30 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who can't see the photos Leanne. I figured it was just me. But here's a funny thing - I can see them fine on the topic review thingy at the bottom of the 'Post a reply' page.

Fred :?

PS Great looking pleco Kaz - no wonder you can't part with it!