PDA

View Full Version : PimaFix?

Pyroman
Fri Apr 02, 2004, 04:13 PM
I know ya'll get Aquarium Ph. stuff down there... :P . So please no bashing the poor techno weenie!

Anyway... anyone done much research on the new PimaFix (http://www.aquariumpharm.com/pimafix.html) yet? Looks like it's the equivalent of malachite green, without the staining.

I'm a big fan of melafix, and this looks like it's another *natural* medication (not sure if that's just spin, or if it is truly valid). Looks like it might be good stuff.

On a funny note, my DoctorFosters&Smith aquatic catalog came today... and had a pretty amusing typo in it.

PimaFix is a natural botanical remedy made from Pimenta racemosa providing unique active compounds which harmoniously work together to attach fish diseases. The active compounds found in PimaFix not only provide many different modes of action, but also eliminate the possibility of the development of resistant strains of disease causing organisms. PimaFix does not discolor the water like other antifungal treatments do.

Did you catch it? :wink:

tennhound
Fri Apr 02, 2004, 04:28 PM
Shouldn't it have been "to attack fish diseases"?

MARIE

Pyroman
Fri Apr 02, 2004, 06:22 PM
:wink:

tennhound
Fri Apr 02, 2004, 09:08 PM
See I can figure some things out on my own.

MARIE

Annie
Fri Apr 02, 2004, 10:02 PM
Good job Tennhound..( just kidding)..

On a serious note, I have never used PimaFix, bu tif any on else has, please post your review. As I am a believer in the Melafix. I love the stuff. Just have to becareful with certain fish and the doses.

Proteus
Fri Apr 02, 2004, 10:24 PM
Melafix is my idea of a miracle potion...

love the stuff and swear by it

flukes
Sat Apr 03, 2004, 04:10 AM
The lfs near me had a huge promotion about it, ill have to get some as melafix is a great product and this is meant to be along the same lines.

Proteus
Tue Apr 27, 2004, 12:46 PM
Well, I have used some of the new Pimafix, and besides smelling quite good, in conjunction with some Melafix, it is a kick a$$ natural based remedy for common ailments... Some cloudy eye, skin a bit weathered, no problem, a day or 2 later, as good as new.

kevkoi
Tue Apr 27, 2004, 01:31 PM
Well, well... well.... Guess what, I found a fish that could not tolerate Melafix!

If you have Beckford's pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi. http://www.azgardens.com/images/Pencilfish,-Beckford's1.gif), melafix is lethal to them at the recommended dosage. Well, I found out the hard way.... Wiped out a tank of them when treating the system with melafix. :cry: All the rummy nose, cardinals, corydoras on the system were fine.... the Beckfords were gasping in 2mins and dead in 10min. :?

I don't know if it affects all Nannostomus sp., but my guess is it probably would.... Treat with caution. Even "Natural remedies" can have unforseen effects.

Annie
Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:57 PM
Wow, that is fast. Although very fast and such a sad thing.
I am sorry...:(

luvfishies
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:29 AM
Well, well... well.... Guess what, I found a fish that could not tolerate Melafix!

If you have Beckford's pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi. http://www.azgardens.com/images/Pencilfish,-Beckford's1.gif), melafix is lethal to them at the recommended dosage. Well, I found out the hard way.... Wiped out a tank of them when treating the system with melafix. :cry: All the rummy nose, cardinals, corydoras on the system were fine.... the Beckfords were gasping in 2mins and dead in 10min. :?

I don't know if it affects all Nannostomus sp., but my guess is it probably would.... Treat with caution. Even "Natural remedies" can have unforseen effects.

wow, Kev, thanks for the Heads-up! I have Beckfords here, and would hate anything to happen to them as they are finally doing the "lovey-dovey" dance!

Another note, Bettas have been known to have adverse side effects to Melafix at the recced dosage, as well. It's recommended to either dilute it for Bettas, or use BettaFix, instead.

Annie
Fri Jun 11, 2004, 03:38 AM
Okay, I have now had my use of PimaFix. I used it on a pair od cichlids and in 5-7 days, all better. I like the stuff!!!
The pair is now back to spawning as they had before they had flex and all. ( poor water wuality..my fault with the move and work adn school) The only thing I kept up on was the Discus Tank. :(