PDA

View Full Version : BIG HELP NEEDED

Decepticon
Sun May 15, 2005, 10:11 AM
hI All

Something strange has just happened I placed my hand in the water of my tank and got an electric shock that hurts a fair bit.

But all fish are normal and plants are normal.

This just started happening when I implemented my UV canister, though this problem did not happen earlier in the day.....

And my other aqua1 canister is normal I dont get a shock when i put my hands in the water......I switched off the UV canister and i didnt get a shock. But when I switched on again and put slippers on then it was all ok.......

Am i right thinking either canister is leaking electricity which I assume the fish would die or also the carpet is moist and electricity passess through my body.(bare in mind I have an aqua1 and another UV canister in the tank and only happens to the UV canister)

My best bet is that the floor is moist but it has not happened before with my aqua1.

I have

Aqua1 cf1200ltr canister and
Resun 2800 UV canister.

Cheers

Jay

pitchblack
Sun May 15, 2005, 12:06 PM
looks like you have created a full circuit. I suggest that you have to work out firstly where the electricity is coming from and what completes the connection in order for you to get a shock.

Bill T.
Sun May 15, 2005, 12:29 PM
So.... are you still alive?

Sounds v. dangerous to me. Turn off the U.V. & return it to the supplier. If they look inside it I bet there is a leak & some water is getting into the crystal tube, maybe the tube is cracked?

Have you had it turned on without water running through it? The crystal tube can heat up under these circumstances & crack either becuase it is too hot, or when water does start to flow, it cools rapidly & cracks.

I find I have to "jiggle" mine around a bit to get all the air out of it if it is drained for any reason. Sometimes wonder if it could get an air lock - heat up & crack.

(Perhaps just tell the supplier it was like this right from the beginning?)

Merrilyn
Sun May 15, 2005, 12:38 PM
Deception, Bill is right. Please remove it from the water immediately. It is DANGEROUS.

Your fish will only be mildly affected, but you my friend could fry.

CKY
Mon May 16, 2005, 08:15 AM
Hope you have learnt your lesson, make sure you unplug your heating and lighting/filter etc before you put your hands in the tank. I think every instruction manual you get with any of your water appliances will tell you this, it only takes the one shock to send your heart into fibrilation and your warning has come and gone...Be careful people

Merrilyn
Mon May 16, 2005, 08:56 AM
Wise words CKY. Something we all should do.

Water and electricity don't mix. We need to take great care in this hobby.