PDA

View Full Version : sodium biphosphate ? ok to use?

Ben
Sun May 15, 2005, 05:56 AM
Hi Peoples,

I have never used SB, to lower the ph in water, I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out.

*Is there any side affects when using SB with discus?

*should i use it or stay clear of it.

Of course peat would be the more natural method to lower PH, but just wondered if SB is safe to use..

I need to lower the PH by .6
from 7.3 to 6.7

Cheers and thanks in Advance,
Ben

Merrilyn
Sun May 15, 2005, 01:14 PM
Ben, it's the main ingredient in pH Down.

Should be quite safe to use, although it could have a mild laxative effect on your fish.

mistakes r crucial
Sun May 15, 2005, 09:41 PM
Ben,

I used to use it but found it altered the disolved solids reading, presumably because of the sodium content, the TDS would quadruple. Dont know whether this is much of an issue but it was enough for me to change to something else.
MAC

shrimp paste
Mon May 16, 2005, 12:30 AM
I have used it before, I think that was the product that contains phosphorus, and lead to an algae bloom in my tank. I was doing 50% every 2nd day. I now use a Seachem product that is phosphate free, and have so far not had another bloom.
Check the ingredients if phosphate is a concern.

shrimp paste
Mon May 16, 2005, 12:32 AM
was that a silly post considering the product is called sodium biphosphate?

Hehehheheee

I'm a clown.

Ben
Mon May 16, 2005, 04:48 AM
Cheers guys thanks for the help,
I am on the look at for good quality non toxin peat but i will try some SB on a tank or 2 , just to see any side affects.

Thanks,
Ben

merman
Mon May 16, 2005, 05:33 AM
How much is Peat and how often must it be added etc?

mistakes r crucial
Mon May 16, 2005, 05:57 AM
The bale I bought was $27 and would last a very long time if you only have a few tanks. You can use it a few different ways, some people place a small amount in their cannister filters or sump, others run water over it in their ageing tanks/barrels. When I was using it I put a pump into my 200 ltr ageing barrel, ran a 19ml hose up to another 20ltr container with holes in the bottom and left it running for a few hours/over night. The 20ltr container had a good few handfulls of peat in a stocking, it worked OK.
MAC

Ben
Wed May 25, 2005, 08:28 AM
Hi Mac,
Thanks for the advise.
I just gave some SB a go and it worked very well!
There has been no side affects on the fish at all!

The only problem it would not be a cheap option.

Anyone know where i could get 1kg lots of sodium biphosphate?

Ben