PDA

View Full Version : Where to get an overflow

WrxAnt
Sat May 14, 2005, 02:03 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to run a sump but don't want to drill my tank, does anyone know where I can get an overflow in Australia?

If so where abouts and what price am I looking at ?

Cheers
Ant

lesxda
Sat May 14, 2005, 02:24 PM
just set up one well three now

all with overflow and sumps

I did a ring around at the local fish places first some were drad against it and some wust have had them made in gold at the cost the quoted but I got a single overflow for about $123.00 and y9ou have to add the sump and tubing and return pump

working well but if I have to work away I remove the dense prefilter material so as it does not block the overflow and fill the tank to over flow.. but all working fine and the tanks cycle great and the water now is perfect ... now I have to get the fish to like what I have spent on them..

its like buying a house for you wife and not showing her untill you move in...

les

DR.V
Sat May 14, 2005, 03:03 PM
just use a PVC pipe, some joins , all these u can get from Bunning warehouse. Less than $20.

WrxAnt
Mon May 16, 2005, 09:17 AM
Dr V : Any pointers to instructions on how to build one from PVC?

lesxda: $123.... still a little steep for some plastic i'm feeling but if I can't make one myself.... where did you get that from lesxda?

Cheers
Ant

DR.V
Mon May 16, 2005, 12:31 PM
hmm its quite hard to explain. Its better to show by picture. I'll try to get a pic for u.

premier
Tue May 17, 2005, 10:00 AM
i did research on this 6 months ago, and did test runs with different pvc set ups on a 4 foot tank and a 6 foot tank, it works but they are a largish contraption and sketchy. in my opinion drop the tank into a glass shop and get them to drill it, i think you'll find you will only spend an extra 20 dollars if that as after buying the needed pvc fittings and solvent it adds up fast. you can get a bulkhead fitting from a local irrigation shop with a 1" take off for less than $10.
i had photos but i clumsily deleted sorry mate.

N*A*M
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:33 AM
there is another topic on here that has diagrams for making your own overflow box. i am DIYing it with two tall tuperware boxes. it's really quite simple. drill holes on the inside box for water entry. drill a big hole on the outside box for the exit tube. silicon in a small divider in the outer box to maintain siphon vacuum. use clear flexible tubing for the main U tube. the thing is to use the largest tubing you can get your hands on so that the overflow box is not the bottle neck in your system.