PDA

View Full Version : Air Pump Noise

Bronx19
Fri May 13, 2005, 07:06 AM
Does anyone know how to cut the damn noise down on these?
If I stand it on its legs, it makes a very loud vibrating noise internally, and if I turn it upside down its just bareable.

Has anyone figured out a remedy?

DR.V
Fri May 13, 2005, 08:34 AM
put a piece of cloth underneath the pump, or a styrofoam ( i think its the wrong spelling ) well u know that white foam that u put under the tank

*edit* spelling corrected :wink: *

wild_amazon
Fri May 13, 2005, 09:27 AM
Depend on how much you want to reduce the noise. I hang mine on an elastic band inside a cabinet. Some people go to the extent of placing it inside a wooden box lined with carpet with small holes for tube, cable and air intake.

DR.V
Fri May 13, 2005, 12:19 PM
or just plug ur ears ^-^

leanne31
Fri May 13, 2005, 12:31 PM
You can get those new air pumps through age of aquariums where you put the whole unit in the tank there's suppose to be no noise at all except the bubbles breaking the surface of course.

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Fri May 13, 2005, 12:34 PM
sounds like the electric tank (lol get it the electric tank-electric chair) hahaha.................:shock:

Ben
Fri May 13, 2005, 01:09 PM
lol
That sound is like music to my ears!
It means the air pump is working and all my fish are getting air that they need!

You just have to think about the noise in a different approach!
sorry about this advise but it works for me! lol

Ben

leanne31
Fri May 13, 2005, 01:15 PM
You obviously dont have a tank close to your bedroom then Ben :shock:

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Fri May 13, 2005, 01:20 PM
hehehe me neither... they are all in the room next to my mums bed room... and im down the other end of the house! :lol:

leanne31
Fri May 13, 2005, 01:23 PM
Well I hope you gave your mum a really nice mothers day present by the sounds of it she deserves it. :lol:

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Fri May 13, 2005, 01:24 PM
when was mothers day?...... :shock:

goldenpigeon
Fri May 13, 2005, 01:25 PM
lol nah i did give her a good present. we went trail riding (she is into horses)

vishy
Fri May 13, 2005, 02:13 PM
Hey,
Get one of those dual outlet aqua pro ones from age of aquariums they have an adjustable flow. Or just get co2 heaps of lighting and live plants and you'll have more oxygen then you'll know wat to do with!
Matt

Blue
Fri May 13, 2005, 07:54 PM
Those internal air pumps work on a venturi system, so instead of vibrating you get sucking and gurgling. Output is totally dependant on water depth and they are incapable of running any form of filtration at all.
Not a good trade. Get yourself a Schego air pump, these are silent and some can push 350lph down 3metres. The only noise you get is the bubbules.
http://www.schego.de/seiten/english/eframes.html
Sorry don't know about availability where you are.

Barry

kalebjarrod
Fri May 13, 2005, 09:36 PM
simple

just buy a bigger air pump and put it outside, run the small silicone tube inside and only the birds in the trees will hear the noise

that is exactly what i have done

Bronx19
Sat May 14, 2005, 01:29 AM
My mother is a clean freak. Theres no way I can have tubing laying around.

I have turned the pump down to as low as I can whilst still being effective. Its still fairly noisy, but better.

Littlefish
Sat May 14, 2005, 09:38 AM
Assuming the pump was not always noisy, maybe it needs a new diaphragm?

Fred

DR.V
Sat May 14, 2005, 03:08 PM
wrap it with some cloth !!!

goldenpigeon
Sat May 14, 2005, 11:16 PM
just get a person to blow into it 24/7 it is very silent and just pay them a monthly rate. but then u will need to buy a spag guard! :lol:

Bronx19
Mon May 16, 2005, 03:46 AM
I currently have a cloth under it to stop the vibration, coupled with turning it right down makes it tolerable.

I was planning on using a sponge on a tank in my room, but I think this has put an end to that idea.

Merrilyn
Mon May 16, 2005, 07:16 AM
You might be better with a small internal filter for the tank in your room. I've got one with a spray bar, that works really well and totally silent.

jim from sydney
Mon May 16, 2005, 10:08 AM
noise depends on the pump's capacity. if you have the standard small airpump with double outlets, which i guess most of us have, suspend it from an elastic band. if still noisy open the cover and have a look you may find that the diaphram inside is slightly displaced. TURN THE POWER OFF FIRST.......if all fails take it back to your lfs.....jim

Bronx19
Mon May 16, 2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah thats an idea, I might take a look inside. This is a totally new air pump.

jim from sydney
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:12 AM
i had a similar problem once and couldn't fix it. took it back afterall there is a 12 month warranty....good luck....jim

kalebjarrod
Fri May 20, 2005, 09:13 PM
My mother is a clean freak. Theres no way I can have tubing laying around.

if your bed room has a brick cavity wall and plasterboard on the side where your tank is all you need to do is run the tubing through the wall.

it is very easy your just need the help of on mate. Go to bunnings and buy a blank electricity plate (it has no plug spot on it it is just blank) next find where you want the tubing to come out of and cutt a hole smaller than the blank plate (5cm x 5cm square is best use a steak knife, just push it through the wall and cut)

tie a sinker to your tine silicone tubeing and jump in your roof, go to the edge where your wall is and lower the silicone tubing down, start swinging it till your mate sees it, get him/her to catch it with the hooked end of a coat hanger. then all you need to do is to drill a hole in the "blank plate" screw it onto the wall and it is so neat Mum will let you put tube's everywhere. You can also run a huge airpump with as much presure as you like and no one will care :wink:

if it is on another wall you can still do it just a little tricky, most carpet is held down by a thin strip of wood with little spiked catches on it. they install this strip about 1-2cm away from your wall so they can install the carpet, if you have a look you can poke any sort of cable/small tube down there with the help of a thin piece of wood. I do it all the time rather than move the tv point's i run it in the carpets edge.

Food for thought any way :wink:

lesley
Sat May 21, 2005, 03:18 AM
Was being driven mad by two of mine the other night and had given up on getting these particular pumps silent. I happened to have some bubble wrap nearby and thought I would try this under the pump. Lovely, lovely silence. Might be worth a try for you.

Lesley

Bronx19
Sat May 21, 2005, 05:50 AM
Good ideas guys, I'll give them ago.

Kale: My house is wheatherboard, so Id have to go the carpet method on the next tank.

I have some bubble wrap here, I'll see if it works.