PDA

View Full Version : NEW to Discus

lesxda
Thu May 12, 2005, 03:40 PM
I am just set up a system of tanks in my garage. I started out with one 4 ft then got another 4 ft then 6 X 2.5 ft tanks and anothe 3 ft tank. also have a 3ft for water changes. I have a 6ft in the dinning room with afician cidlids.

on the first two 4ft tanks have setup with sump reef spray filter on each.

they have just finished the cycle. I have just put 6 discus in both tanks.
on had neons in for one week and bristlenose catfish. the other had gold fish and wipetail catfish.

the 6 2.5ft tanks have sponge filters set up

I have been doing 2nd daily water changes. No deaths always a nice things.

the one question I have is with the heaters one supplier said I should have 2 heater in each tank just incase one fails. :)

I will clean up the garage and then take some pics.

All advise greatfully recieved. les

Merrilyn
Thu May 12, 2005, 04:27 PM
Hi Les. Wow, you really have been bitten by the discus bug, haven't you. Well, you're in good company here. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

You could have two heaters in your 4 foot tanks, just for a more even heat distribution, but it isn't needed in your smaller tanks. In fact, you are in more danger of cooking your fish if a thermostat jams, than you are of losing your fish if the water gets too cold.

lesxda
Thu May 12, 2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the quick reply
I know about cooking fish we had a fault heater at work the tank was hotter than a spa only the kissing fish lived.

yeah the small tanks will only have 1 heater and I will get another heater for both 4 fts and the 3 ft as this is where my expensive fish will be housed.

I will have to check and see how they take the cold.. getting cooler over this week I have just got some battery temp gages so I can see the lowest and higest temps reached..
ph 6.2 amon nil nitrite nil and nitrates 10ppm before w/c.

Blue
Fri May 13, 2005, 08:01 PM
Seen as you have really gone to town with this one, you may as well insulate the garage and heat the garage, have the heaters anyway as they can click on if the room heating fails. Insulating and heating the garage will also cut down on the condensation you will inevitably get with having so many tanks.

Hope your operation runs smoothly,

Barry