PDA

View Full Version : advice on medications, what should you always have on hand?

spencer
Thu May 12, 2005, 12:41 PM
Hi
I was wondering what medication should all discus keepers have on hand?
and what brands are favored over others

(hopefully never have to use them)

Cheers Max

Ben
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:10 PM
I will get the ball rolling......
I keep
PRAZI and METH BLUE always on hand.

Ben

spencer
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks Ben,
What does the meth blue do?
cheers Max

Merrilyn
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hmmmm definately something for gill flukes and tape worms e.g. Praziquantal. And maybe some Metro would be good to have on hand.

Other than that, you just need a good chlorine neutralizer.

Ben
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:23 PM
Max,
Just incase of white spot (ich)
I have only had one outbreak in one tank once and that was during last Autumm.

Ben

spencer
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:25 PM
Is Aqua Master Fluke & Tapeworm Tablets Prazi? and is Waterlife Sterazin
prazi aswell ?
Is metro called by anything else?
thanks Max

Ben
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:31 PM
Hi Max,
Thats the stuff, you should be able to buy it for under $60 for 100 tablets it also comes in 25 tablets for around $16-

As for Metro i have never used it or needed it (touch wood) But Ladyred knows more about it than me!

HTH
Ben

Merrilyn
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:32 PM
'Aquamaster is prazi. Not sure about Sterazin. BillT will be able to help there.

Metro is also known as Flagyl, but it is only available from your vet or G.P.

spencer
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:34 PM
I thank you all for your help,I am going to order the Aquamaster now,as a just in case,and I will speak to my vet, have to take the dogs in soon
Cheers all Max

Bill T.
Thu May 12, 2005, 10:51 PM
Nobody knows what's in sterazin and Waterlife are not letting the cat out of the bag. Some of us have discoverred that Sterazin is very gentle on fish and flukes. When I "uped" the Sterazin dose after some advice from those who should know, I scorched my fish. So I would stick with the Prazi if you suspect flukes.

spencer
Fri May 13, 2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks Bill,
I will steer clear of that stuff
Cheers Max

Rossco
Sun May 15, 2005, 07:29 AM
Octozin for sale on any aust web sites?
Cant seem to find it sadly,i hear its works well for hex.
Any other med works good for Hex besides Metro?

chris
Sun May 15, 2005, 11:27 AM
Any other med works good for Hex besides Metro?
Rosco is this a Typo or is this your experience :?:
Prazi is a must to keep on hand.
Aquariums salt is also go to keep on hand.

Merrilyn
Sun May 15, 2005, 01:23 PM
I think Rossco is asking if there are any other meds besides Metro that work for hex.

In my opinion Rossco. Metro is the best choice.

CKY
Mon May 16, 2005, 10:03 AM
Sterazin in Meth Blua/Malc green and another Benzalkonium type chemical. oops did I give away one of waterlife's secret formulas??

CKY
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:09 AM
By the way with any of waterlife's medications please stick to the required dosages or you will find that you will cause skin erosion on most sepcies of fish, and when it says to use half does on tetra type fish please do even if you 'think' otherwise, even when they are with discus. Unfortunately the fish that most prone to diseases such as whitespot, are also the ,most sensitive to medications that treat it.
PS: If initial treatment doesn't work you could try the second dose at 70%, but no more, of the usual dose however if the tetras adversely react in any way please hold of treatment for an extra day and then continue to treat at half dose. Sorry have waffled on about tetras a little here :)