PDA

View Full Version : FOOD white crane

buddlefish
Wed May 11, 2005, 12:59 PM
hi,has anyone got any feedback on the food white crain.they seen to make lots of different types i have just got some discus monthly.i read it has psb in it what is this also colorants please let me no as keen to try.the shop that sold it to me says its amazing bring out all the coulours but at what cost to the fish is health thanks MATT[/img]

Merrilyn
Wed May 11, 2005, 02:07 PM
Hi buddlefish. What country are you in. I don't remember seeing White Crane fish food anywhere in Australia.

buddlefish
Wed May 11, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hi ladyred,i live in sydney and its the new thing to hit alot of the fish shops.What have you herd about it.Do you think i should try it all my discus are healthy dont whant to stuff that up?

Merrilyn
Wed May 11, 2005, 04:05 PM
I have heard that it has a lot of colour enhancers in it, and that will be fine, so long as they are natural. Can you list the ingredients on the label. That should tell us more about it.

I would certainly be willing to try it on some of my fish, just to see if it makes a difference to the colours.

I'm pretty sure it will be fine to use as part of a varied diet, but post that list of ingredients first.

mistakes r crucial
Wed May 11, 2005, 08:31 PM
The debate over White Crane appears often and at length on quite a few forums. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, according to many your fish won't breed whilst being fed White Crane and the colour enhancers are synthetic not natural. It basically colours females to look like males in Africans so God knows what it does to Discus. Some breeders have said their females wouldn't breed for 8 months after being Craned.

It all boils down to personal choice but if you want to breed your fish it probably isn't a good idea.
MAC

buddlefish
Wed May 11, 2005, 10:28 PM
The ingredients,LTfish meal,pigments,premix,attractant,colourants,imune sttmulator,PSB,enzymes,lactic bacteria.what is PSB is any thing in this bad it dose not sound to natral matt

Mattzilla
Thu May 12, 2005, 12:52 AM
i think the ingredient PSB is the one to be worried about. don't quote me on that but have also seen many debates on white crane products and from memory that ingredients has come up alot.

personally i don't touch the stuff...too dodgy to me. anything with that big a question mark over it is not good enough for me.....not worth the risk

jmo
matt

Ben
Thu May 12, 2005, 04:43 AM
I have seen a few white crane fish foods on ebay lately.

I still swear by breeders premium, can go wrong and all naturale!

Ben

Ben
Thu May 12, 2005, 05:24 AM
mmm......

Found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4380938982&rd=1

I am not sure about vital though.....

Sutto
Thu May 12, 2005, 07:53 AM
Ok, White Crane is not intened to be used solely as a food soruce but instead fed in small amounts with other foods (Thats why in fish shops a small container costs appx $30). Be wanred prolonged feeding can be damaging and NEVER feed to fry you are going to dsell / breeding pairs. The main opposition to it is shops feeding to fish and then once the fish arrive home the colour fading.

HTH,
-Sutto

Merrilyn
Thu May 12, 2005, 09:26 AM
That's very interesting information Sutto.

Where did you learn that.

Sutto
Thu May 12, 2005, 10:04 AM
Well, the Fry bit is because generally it makes it harder to tell the better quality fry from those that are just colourfed (same as with Adults).

The other info came from a LFS over here that used to use it but found it damaging or something like that.

-Sutto

Merrilyn
Thu May 12, 2005, 12:34 PM
Cool - thanks.

Sutto
Thu May 12, 2005, 12:37 PM
LOL a Good Example is a mate went to a fish store last weekend and while he was there he noticed a tank of salousi. Tank was noted as colourfed and you couldnt find on Single Yellow fish (Well, Orangy whatever it is, Sign of Females) because they had been so colourfed.

-Sutto

buddlefish
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:36 PM
thanks for all the info.i have only a 30grams of there discus monthly thay say to feed once or twice a month.ill give them one feeding and look into it more but ill let you all no if i see any colour change Matt

merman
Wed May 18, 2005, 10:45 PM
Have seen actually seen fish fed on WC they looked brillant. Lake Malawi 's they were.

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 10:59 PM
I've had some updated information from someone 'in the know' regarding this food.

Without saying too much, I think my choice of dry food from now on will be Tetra Colour Bits and Breeders Premium.