PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed

Bronx19
Wed May 11, 2005, 02:14 AM
Sup guys, can I get a little feedback on whether I should bite on this deal.

Used:

6x2x18
Four door cabinet and hood
Filters (unsure of exact details)
Heater
Other accessories.

Asking price: $600

leanne31
Wed May 11, 2005, 02:47 AM
Work out what they would cost you brand new and see if you think its worth it then, also depends on the condition of the equipment and the age as well, the filter and heater etc could be on their last legs.

Leanne

Bronx19
Wed May 11, 2005, 03:09 AM
From what I have seen from my local area, brand new Id be looking at $1000 or more for a tank/cabinet and hood.

However, I have seen a similar package selling for $450 used. As it would be my first venture into somethign this big, Im not really sure what a tank this size is worth.

leanne31
Wed May 11, 2005, 03:22 AM
Gee wow what area are you from I got a quote the other day for a 6 ft with reinforced glass $250 and stand $220 if yours are that expensive I'd go the second hand one.

Leanne

Fishpimpin73
Wed May 11, 2005, 03:22 AM
it all depends on condition.

Give the seller a ring and find out how "used" it is.....
See if you can run out and take a gander at it.

At the end of the day it is all about what YOU think the setup is worth.

What do you want the setup for?

Display or Breeding/Growout?

I will only buy a used tank if it is in PRISTINE condition, unless it is an emergency........

And even then I am extra picky :wink:

Bronx19
Wed May 11, 2005, 03:39 AM
Leanne: I think you may be referring to a stand and not a cabinet, which is always significantly more costly.
A 6ft tank for $250 is incredibly cheap also. I payed $110 for my little 2.5 tank!

Pimp: The only place it would fit at the moment is in my room, and it'll be a bear bottom discus tank.
Do you find that used tanks are more likely to break?
Do tanks have a life span?

leanne31
Wed May 11, 2005, 03:43 AM
Sorry the cabinets are $350 in adelaide ive noticed the tanks are always cheaper i bought my 4 ft for $170 delivered.

leanne

Bronx19
Wed May 11, 2005, 03:50 AM
Wish I was closer... $350 for a cabinet is nothing. I wonder why they hike the price in NSW.

Ben
Wed May 11, 2005, 04:26 AM
I Agree with Fishpimpin73,
Its what its worth to you.

But just check how old the heater and filters are, because just because they are part of the deal you might have to buy new ones and or parts.

When buying a fish tank set up, pretend it is a used car.......

HTH,
Ben

DR.V
Wed May 11, 2005, 05:22 AM
try bargain ^^

chrissyoscar
Thu May 12, 2005, 03:11 AM
Sounds good

Make sure the filters are half decent as you don't want to spend another $300 to replace the cannister filters. Also does it come with fluros? If it does hopefully it's a twin fluro. If it's a single fluro you might not have adequate lighting if you plan to keep plants.
Also if it's going in a main room then obviously it'll have to look nice. I've seen heaps of cabinets that look shocking.
If you've seen it and like it try getting them to deliver it for you and help set it up as well. A big tank like that can be a real pain to move.

Hope that helps a little. Oscar

Fishpimpin73
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:35 PM
Used tank breakage.........

I haven't had the misfortune to have any tank break.
( crosses fingers and knocks on wood while praying )

As far as lifespan for tanks............

I am of the opinion that as long as the tank is well taken care of and the seals are good, it doesn't matter how old the tank is.

The major issue with tank seals though, is that after a tank sits dry for awhile the silicone can become hard and brittle.

This happens far more often in used SW tanks than it does in FW tanks, becuse of the chem prop of the salt.

Always ask how long the tank has set without water in it, and see if the seller is willing to fill the tank up to check for leakage.

Just my opinion.
But always a good rule of thumb :wink:

Blue
Fri May 13, 2005, 08:16 PM
You will be able to get it lower than the asking price.
Whenever people sell stuff second hand they think of the figure they want and then add some bargaining space.
I reckon you could get them down to less than $500.
Have you seen the tank and equipment? With a bit of luck the filters may not be what you are looking for and you could sell them on an auction site.
If it has twin lights then sell one. If its also coming with grvael and decor then sell it
AS you are having a bare bottom tank most equipment from a conventional set up will be useless to you so you can sell it.

Barry

kalebjarrod
Fri May 13, 2005, 09:27 PM
G&S sell new 6x2x2 CHEAP

ring george first :wink:

Bronx19
Mon May 16, 2005, 03:55 AM
Well, heres the update.

The filter was an under gravel, it only has one heater that I doubt would heat to 28-30, and the cabinet and hood were in good condition but were not to my taste.

I offered him $500, but he wouldnt come down from $550. So that one bit the dust, but I'll keep looking.

Kale, Im on the South Coast of NSW, so any savings made would be eaten up by trasport costs.

Has anyone ever gone through 'Aquariums R Us' ? http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au

They have extremely cheap prices on tanks and cabinets.

jim from sydney
Fri May 20, 2005, 07:22 AM
Bronx19.....i dont know if you are a handy-man or not. but ever considered making your own support stand??. I make all my own and it is very rewarding.....i bought a new 6ft tank $325 made my own stand with doors and all for material cost of $60. bought a canister filter 1500l/hr.from our sponsers $109 and made my own light cover with lights for about $50 so all up about 550 bucks and it is all new and exactly how i want it to be. you need time ofcourse and will make some mistakes but hey......think of the self satisfaction you get out of it........besides i have had very bad experiences with second hand tanks leaking the main problem due to distortion in the frame mainly from transport and handling....so buyer be aware....Jim

Littlefish
Sat May 21, 2005, 10:39 AM
I buy my bits & pieces from Aquariumsrus as they're local to me and the prices are good. Don't know how they are on deliveries elsewhere.

The cheap stands & hoods are functional but extremely basic and tend to have knot holes in unfortunate places. OK if you plan to stain or paint them I guess. The silicone work on the tanks is OK but not perfect. Then again the LFS ones can be pretty crook at times.

Like Jim said, DIY stands can come up just as good and give a lot of satisfaction. DIY tanks are satisfying too, but need a fair bit of confidence. I'll never forget the day a 6ft DIY job burst and washed the furniture off the verandah. Besides, the glass is dear as poison.

Fred