PDA

View Full Version : whitw poo

Mattzilla
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:47 PM
hi one of my discus has gone off food and started to produce white/clear poo

i treated the tank yesterday with prazi and will re treat in 7 days

is there anythign else i can do? was prazi the right med to use?

thanks guys...i know bugger all about sick discus

cheers
matt

leanne31
Mon May 09, 2005, 11:54 PM
Sounds more like hex got any other symptons.

Leanne

Mattzilla
Tue May 10, 2005, 12:17 AM
no...just not eating and white poo

it hasn't darkened up or anythingand it's fins are not clamped....

leanne31
Tue May 10, 2005, 12:26 AM
well you've already dosed with prazi now so if you dont see any evidence in the next day of worms I'd def say its hex and would be treating with some metro.

Leanne

Merrilyn
Tue May 10, 2005, 04:21 AM
Yep. I agree with Leanne. Definately sounds like Hex. You need to take a little trip to your vet to get hold of some Metro.

Mattzilla
Tue May 10, 2005, 05:47 AM
ok i have some metro.... although i have only ever used it once and i had a bad experience with it. last time i used it my entire tank turned white with some algea, about 20 cardinal tetras died and none of mydiscus got any better. i don't know what i did wrong but i have never used the stuff again since out of fear.

i have "Flagyl S Suspension" it says on the bottle....
"Metronidazole benzoate 320mg/5mL. Equivalent to Metronidazole 200mg/5mL"

i don't have a hospital tank so i will have to treat the whole tank...is this ok?

what is the best temp to medicate with metro??

how many times do i treat with this med?

what is the correct dosage using the liquid metro that i have?

what else do i need to know before i med the tank?

i'll be honest i am sh1t scared about using metro becasue of my bad experience so i need to know everything.

cheers
matt

leanne31
Tue May 10, 2005, 07:49 AM
Matt the white stuff you said was normal but if you can get hold of a hospital tank that would be better. I have heard from a couple of people and from posts around here not to use the suspension but Im not 100% sure so maybe do some research on it.
Have the temp on about 30 to 31 degrees.
I dont know about the dosage on the suspension as I only use the tablets.
I know with the tablets you dose every 8 hours with the lights off but again I dont know about the suspension.
If your really worried about the metro just get a cheap tank to use as a hospital tank they're handy to have around anyway.

Leanne

Bill T.
Tue May 10, 2005, 11:06 PM
I recently treated mine with Octazin. Dramatic results quickly, knocked the poor fella's about for a while and brought on a small ammonium spike.
All better now and the fish are looking very good.

kkiu
Wed May 11, 2005, 12:46 AM
Metro in liquid form doesnt sound like a good idea.

From what others have said, its got glucose in it which caused your algae boom.

And Metronidazole benzoate doesnt sound quite right either especially since you said its equivalent to a diff dose of Metronidazole.

I reckon you should try to get metro in tablet form and try treating with that if necessary after you have completed your two doses of prazi.

Hope it clears up for you thou. My discus sometimes have one off instances of white/clear poo and never get it again.
Maybe its kinda like diaherra or constipation in humans, pretty harmless most of the time :)