PDA

View Full Version : only eats brine shrimp....

dazzman
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:17 AM
Hi Guys,

I've got a couple of juvis and they only eat frozen BS. Tried dry food on many occasions and only one of them seem to eat it. The others just totally ignored it. Tried starving them but still no use. I gotta stop the frequency of BS due to the water being contaminated too quickly. Any ideas?

Btw, does anyone know where I can get hikari bloodworms and has anyone used the ones from aquaone?? Is it safe?

Thanks heaps

goldenpigeon
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:22 AM
if one of the discus eats dry food then keep feeding him that and eventually the others will follow by example

leanne31
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:27 AM
Have you tried other foods as well like bh etc.
You can get the bloodworms from a lfs, I used the aqua one bw for the last 6 months and have never had a problem I just changed to hikari for the reason of they add extra vitamins and mineral to it as well but I still use the aqua one if the lfs runs out of the other.

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:40 AM
the only problem with hikari is it is so much more expensive!

leanne31
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:51 AM
You'll learn as you get older junior you get what you pay for. :lol:

Leanne

Mattzilla
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:58 AM
when fish get fussy,....starve them for a while feed very small amounts of the foods you want them to eat.

if they are healthy they will get hungry pretty quick and try sometihng new

Merrilyn
Mon May 09, 2005, 08:43 AM
Hi dazzman and welcome to the forum. Discus can be stubborn about accepting new foods. Just keep trying. Feed the new food first thing in the morning, when they are hungry, then their preferred food later in the day.

They will soon begin to accept the new food. Brine shrimp on their own are not a balanced diet for discus, so they really should be encouraged to eat a variety of foods, like beefheart, bloodworms, minced prawn, vegetable matter and dry pellets.

dazzman
Mon May 09, 2005, 10:34 PM
Cheers ladyred, yea I just discovered this site. I know... where have I been all this time. :oops:

anywaz, thanks for the help guys.

I've tried discus dinners also but no luck. Will try keeping them on the dry foods in the morning and hopefully they'll start taking it. Is it me or is hikari BW now really hard to get?? I tried quite a few places and they're all out. Anyone knows any lfs that's still stock them?

daz

leanne31
Mon May 09, 2005, 11:48 PM
Where are you from Daz, if you put your location in your profile we will be able to help you with that information :lol:

Leanne

dazzman
Tue May 10, 2005, 12:44 AM
cheers leanne,

I've updated it. I'm in melbourne.

leanne31
Tue May 10, 2005, 12:48 AM
There's lots of people here from Melbourne so Im sure someone can tell you that info

Leanne

Ben
Tue May 10, 2005, 01:00 AM
Hi Dazz,
Those Aquaone Bloods worms are good, If you want to get them cheaper there is an aquarium next to VIC market and they sell them, 10 packets for $15- which is really good Value! Oscar from this forum Got some from me!

Also if you want some cheap brineshrimp aquaforce in Boronia sell 20 packets for $50 which is great value too.

As far as the discus only eating shrimp try and feed them other foods, it will take time but they will take to it, kinda like children!

Maybe try feeding some breeders premium if you are not already. I find my discus favour this over all other foods, except Live blackworms which i dont feed anymore.

Hope this Helps,
Ben

dazzman
Tue May 10, 2005, 02:00 AM
Cheers Ben,

will make a trip there this weekend and no I haven't got discus premium. I'm trying to get some online but still trying to find a site that offers it. Thanks again

daz

DR.V
Tue May 10, 2005, 02:58 AM
hikari bloodworms is not so expensive here , i got mine , a box of 12 pack , for $23, how much does it cost in melb ??

leanne31
Tue May 10, 2005, 03:08 AM
I know in adelaide one packet is over $6.

Leanne

Ben
Tue May 10, 2005, 03:17 AM
Dazz,

http://www.gnsaquarium.com.au/html/breeders_premium.html

Tell them you are a DF member and you will get %10 off.
Postage is $9 for express postage.
Great stuff! I highly recommend it!

Ben

goldenpigeon
Tue May 10, 2005, 06:00 AM
yer i know leanne and i of many ppl would know you only get what you pay for. i can get a kilo of orca bloodworms for $25. that sure beats hikari at $3! this way there is more money left over fora varied diet and a quality beef heart food. also i get breeders premium so i all works out in the end! :D

dazzman
Tue May 10, 2005, 10:19 PM
cheers Ben,

Will get some and hopefully they're start taking it. Wish me luck.

daz

Ben
Wed May 11, 2005, 12:50 AM
Good luck Dazz, but you want need it!
Let me know how they go!

cheers,
Ben

Kaza
Wed May 11, 2005, 03:00 AM
Hey any one in Adelaide know of a cheap place to buy food, like Leanne I pay $6.00 for one packet with over 40 discus it is b**** expensive? I have asked for discount on buying large amounts the most I can get is if I buy 10 packets one is free. Big Deal!

mistakes r crucial
Wed May 11, 2005, 08:43 PM
Kaza,

Do a bit of detective work and find the wholesaler for SA. If you tell them your situation and agree to buy in bulk (100-200 packs not 10) you might be surprised at the result and price.
MAC