PDA

View Full Version : nitrate

Darth_discus
Mon May 09, 2005, 06:26 AM
so let me get this right if i have a planted tank the nitrate will stay low right and how many water changes a week should i do

Trebs
Mon May 09, 2005, 06:44 AM
Growing plants will absorb nitrate. How much depends on the number of plants and how quickly they grow. A heavily planted tank with good lighting should readily absorb nitrate. Bear in mind though the fast the plants grow the more water you will need to change to replace minerals and trace elements as well as balance fert levels.

Number and size of w/c's will also depend heavily on stocking levels.

leanne31
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:29 AM
I have quite a few plants in my tank but I left it a week without a wc and my nitrate still went up a considerable amount unless you have a forest i would still keep up with the wc.

Leanne

Trebs
Mon May 09, 2005, 09:48 AM
What sort of growth do you get from the plants Leanne?

leanne31
Mon May 09, 2005, 11:51 PM
Not a great deal actually Trebs I have a potted amazon sword thats quite pathetic and a big piece of planted driftwood with two different types of plants on it but not sure what and a couple of odd plants here and there.

Leanne

Trebs
Tue May 10, 2005, 07:34 AM
I'm guessing the plants on the driftwood are anubias. These and swords grow reasonably slowly. It not so much how many plants but more a case of how much they are growing. Something like stricta/hygrow (spelling/species?) or wysteria can grow 15-20cm in a week under moderate light once they are established. Might be a worthwhile experiment to try some of these in addition to what you already have and see how the nitrates go.

leanne31
Tue May 10, 2005, 07:58 AM
I'll post a pic tomorrow Trebs they're are two types on my driftwood a small one and a bigger one the smaller ones growing but the bigger one is a bit yellow.

Leanne