PDA

View Full Version : male or female

Mattzilla
Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:07 AM
any ideas if the sex of this fish??

flukes
Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:51 AM
using the "line of the fins method" you need too see all 3. But by guessing id say its a male, but i could take a more acurate guess if i could see clearly the 3 fins. But this is not proven, it has worked for every pair which ive tried it on.

Scott

Proteus
Wed Mar 31, 2004, 12:14 PM
Only a guess, but I would be saying Male as well...

(I reserve the right to change my mind later)

:wink:

kevkoi
Wed Mar 31, 2004, 12:19 PM
Oh NO!! Another William Hung fan... :lol:

Matt.... U're cracking me up!!!!

kev

flukes
Wed Mar 31, 2004, 12:50 PM
Has anyone else used that fin technique on pairs?? I want to know what the success rate is because its worked on every one i ve tried and also my mate has made pairs from young using this method with 3 lots of pairs. Anyone else tried this?

Cheers
Scott

DiscusMan
Wed Mar 31, 2004, 11:31 PM
I have asked this question many times of people. Some beleive they can pick it everytime others say that it doesnt work all the time.

So i would say if you are trying to make a good guess use it, But it aint no assurance that it is correct. I have seen fish in a tank were the sex of the fish is assured and this rule doesnt match. Same goes for Fish diameter, fish thickness etc etc they are all just guesses in the end.

I have also been told you can tell the difference from the sexual organs. I have never been able to see mine when there doing there business yet so i cant even tell that difference yet myself. Mind you they might both be Lesbians and not a pair at all. Until you get wrigglers or you inspect the eggs closely you can not be sure. :lol:

Most people who go out ot buy a pair of fish from unknown stock for breeding will say that you should buy 6 fish at least, this is because you CAN'T tell what they are, and buy getting six or more you chances of getting a pair are greater.

It is a nice looking fish whatever sex it is.

DiscusMan

Mattzilla
Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:05 AM
thanks guys

my guess is it's a male...but i am only guessing

anyone else want to guess??

Annie
Fri Apr 02, 2004, 09:52 PM
I have no clue to guess what it is..wish I knoew how to tell, even with my 5 Blues..but it is a great pic. A beautiful Discus..