PDA

View Full Version : High Nitrite

fishinggame
Thu May 05, 2005, 11:04 AM
Just wondering if someone can give me some advice the water in my breeding tank set up (8 tanks) has extremely high nitrite levels after an extended power failure and the nitrites are around 4 , i have doubled dosed with prime to try and detoxify the nitrite and am wondering wether to do water changes or just leave it to cycle properly again the fish seem to have been doing well after the last couple of days but today they are breathing a little heavier than usual.
My thanks in advance for any assistance
Regards
Tony

Merrilyn
Thu May 05, 2005, 11:16 AM
Tony, you are experiencing a nitrite spike as you tank goes thru a cycle again after the power outage.

Do a 50% water change to reduce the nitrite levels. Your tank will take a little longer to cycle, but it won't be as hard on your fish.

fishinggame
Thu May 05, 2005, 11:19 AM
thanks ladyred i thought so but some have suggested just leaving it so thought i would check dont want to lose anymore fish have already lost 3 lots of fry of these pairs since it happened

DiscusMan
Fri May 06, 2005, 04:20 AM
Mate how are th efish going.

Wayne

fishinggame
Fri May 06, 2005, 08:30 AM
Wayne
The fish are going well apart from this nitrite problem caused through a power failure.
The pair are laying but the water has upset things a bit hopefully it will go down soon
Cheers
Tony

wild_amazon
Fri May 06, 2005, 03:09 PM
Will discus still lay eggs in a such high nitrite? My understanding is that most fish will only spawn in a good or at least reasonable water condition?

Merrilyn
Fri May 06, 2005, 10:26 PM
Amazon, no fish won't lay eggs in conditions like that, but I thing fishingame is referring to the fact that he lost fry after the power failure, when the nitrites increased. He has 8 breeding tanks.