PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

Bronx19
Wed May 04, 2005, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, can anyone give me some feedback on Sicce and Pro Aqua heaters? Age of Aquariums has 300W Pro Aquaria for $12. This seems too good to be true, insanely cheap.

Should they be avoided, or are they legit?

chris
Wed May 04, 2005, 12:12 PM
Dont no much about the brand, yes that is insanely cheap,
Spend a bit more and get a better brand :?:
I use Via Aqua heaters no probs so far.Retal $36 of memory. for a 300w

leanne31
Wed May 04, 2005, 12:51 PM
I bought one of those $12 heaters and so did my sister they are no good for your tanks they're ok to age your water in there only prob is they tend to fluctuate the temp and my sister had one in her outside breeding tanks and they just couldnt hold the temp past 26, they're like old radiator heaters the inside of them glow bright red it worried me for a while but like I said good for your aging barrels unless you do what I did and fill the barrel up with cold water while forgeting to turn the heater off and boom no more heater. I bought a couple of the stainless steel aqua one heaters off ebay the bidding starts off at $18 and if your lucky like I was noone else bidded so thats all i paid and they're ok hope that helps

Leanne

Bronx19
Thu May 05, 2005, 01:20 AM
Thanks leanne, I thought that would be the case.

I have two 150w heaters on my 100L tank and they both cant get the temp past 27C. Its very annpying.

I guess there is no avoiding the price if you want quality.

chrissyoscar
Thu May 05, 2005, 02:25 AM
Buy a 200w jager. That'll do 100lts no problems at all. They are expensive but they'll last you years. I got one for $63 delivered and it's in my 30x14x18 breeding tank which is in the garage. I've got the temp set at 30c and it's always around 29c-30c.

Oscar

dreamer
Thu May 05, 2005, 02:42 AM
$36 for 300W via aqua? i bought few for $15 each!!
for display tank i like hydor external heater

benanddebbie
Thu May 05, 2005, 11:34 AM
How does an external heater work?

Merrilyn
Thu May 05, 2005, 11:57 AM
The heater tube is inside the tank, but the control box is on the outside of the tank. Very accurate and easy to adjust.

Ben
Thu May 05, 2005, 01:00 PM
I have heard those ones that Merrilyn discribes are very accurate and easy to use coz you dont have to put your hand in the water and fiddle with the controls. Most of the stainless steel heater are like that.

But there is also an external heater that attaches to the outlet pipe of an external filter.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category7_1.htm

The Hydor ETH 300w and 200 watt are great but are a little more on the expensive side.
As the water passes through the unit it heats the water.
I have one on my 6 foot tank and the temp never strays more than .2 c which is very accurate.

HTH,
Ben

Merrilyn
Thu May 05, 2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that info Ben. Wasn't thinking of one of those :wink:

ctvu
Thu May 05, 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi all

I got the same problem with Leanne using Pro Aqua. So the old say: " You pay what you get" .

With Hydor External Heater, I have not used them yet but one of LFS said he got many faulty returned by customers so he will not order any more and on sale what he had left.

ATM I am using Aqua One which is so far so good, even though I notice that it varies 1-2 C. HTH

ctvu

benanddebbie
Fri May 06, 2005, 11:52 AM
Ben

What size is your six foot tank to only need one external hydor heater?

I thought it was cold in Melbourne :D

Ben
Fri May 06, 2005, 12:13 PM
Hi Ben and Debbie,
The 6 footer is a standard size (6x18x14)
And the heater is a 300 watt external.
It works really well and i would reccommend them to All.
And yes it gets bloody cold down here, i cant wait to get my elec bill in a couple of months!

cheers,
Ben

benanddebbie
Fri May 06, 2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks Ben

We have a 6x2x2 so figure we would probably need two 300W. Currently using two standard 300W internal type but very interested now in external options.

Cheers

Ben
Fri May 06, 2005, 12:34 PM
OMG!
i double posted!
i am soo sorry!
i had the best record of not doing that!!

Please forgive me!

Ben

DiscusMad
Fri May 06, 2005, 01:06 PM
OMG!
i double posted!
i am soo sorry!
i had the best record of not doing that!!

Please forgive me!

Ben

now u blew it LOL

Merrilyn
Fri May 06, 2005, 02:11 PM
Shhhhhh Ben - evidence removed.

I won't tell flukes, if you don't. :wink: