PDA

View Full Version : breeding pair

DR.V
Sun May 01, 2005, 01:24 PM
Im just curious, can discus that come from the same parents pair up ?
Because i got 2 discus that come from the same parents , now in a comm tank, always stay together and close during day and night.

Thanks

Merrilyn
Sun May 01, 2005, 01:54 PM
Yes they can, and do. In fact, that's how breeders fix desirable traits in their lines. It's called line breeding.

DR.V
Sun May 01, 2005, 02:00 PM
oh yesss...
thanks for the info...i thought they cant

DR.V
Mon May 02, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hello, my red marlboro just spawned again today. This is the 2nd time they spawned. I already caged the eggs. Both pair didnt turn darker, im afraid all the fry gonna stick to the sponge filter again.

Also , if i do a normal water change, 50% , will that effect the eggs?? ie . they wont hatch ?? because the temp will drop by 3-4 degrees

Thanks

Merrilyn
Mon May 02, 2005, 02:01 PM
Wrap your filter sponge in white filter wool to prevent the fry from being attracted to it.

50% water changes are a bit too much while there are eggs or new fry in the tank. Try cutting it down to 10% daily.

the_oracle
Mon May 02, 2005, 05:45 PM
I don't use any filtration system once the eggs hatched. Just a simple airstone. This is to prevent the fries from straying away from the parents. I normally do 50% WC once they're free-swimming.

Regards,
Sanie.

DiscusMan
Thu May 05, 2005, 08:39 AM
I hope they are fertile for you.

If parents dont darken up and as a result or if in fact the babies dont attach. Then drop water level down to just over what the parents can stand upright in and remoce any dark objects from tank. Wait and see if they attach. Of course keep teh water clean by water changes if you remove the filter like i and the gentleman from Singapore does.

Wayne

DR.V
Thu May 05, 2005, 01:12 PM
Hello all, for the last 3 days i have done 10% w/c to this tank. And also after 12 hours the female lays the eggs, i caged them. Today i found all the eggs are white, like milk wite. Its been 3 days since it was laid. Does this mean all the eggs are not ferltile? There were about 250-300 eggs, compare to their 1st spawn olny about 50. Well , i dont expect so much though, coz this is their 2nd spawinng after all. Maybe i'll wait until 3rd or 4th. They'll spawn again after 2 weeks. Thats the gap between the 1st and 2nd spawning.

Merrilyn
Thu May 05, 2005, 02:39 PM
White eggs are not fertile. Wait a bit longer and see if there are any wrigglers hidden amongst the infertile eggs.

As you know, it can take several times before they get things right.