PDA

View Full Version : values for nitrite,nitrateKh,Gh

jim from sydney
Sun May 01, 2005, 11:25 AM
I am using Sydney water. I condition fresh tap water in a 50 litre tub for 24 hours with temp=30C and a de-chlorinator A.C.E. I do not change the pH levels it comes at about pH7.6 I then use it in the main tank. What readings are acceptable levels for Nitrite, Nitrate, Gh and Kh.????

Thanks Jim.

flukes
Sun May 01, 2005, 10:08 PM
Nitrite should be zero, as its harmful too fish. And with nitrates well depends if its a planted tank or not, with mine (non-planted) i noramlly let it get too about 10-14ppm before doing a water change and bringing it back down too zero.

gh and kh ideally would be good if they are around 2-3ppm each. Gh you really dont want any thing near 6ppm as it can be too hard for this fish. Although iam sure some have had discus living in a gh of 6. The kh is your buffering for ph, the higher the kh the less chance of a ph swing.. normally in oz we get a kh of around 2-4ppm..

HTH

jim from sydney
Mon May 02, 2005, 04:12 AM
thanks "flukes" very helpful.................Jim

jim from sydney
Sat May 07, 2005, 05:34 AM
Hi Flukes
Just a bit more on waterconditions.
Have checked my newly setup 400 l tank
temp=30C
Nitite=0
Nitrates=5ppm
kH=40ppm
Gh=80ppm
pH=alkaline (tap water not altered)
now these are parts per million of course. and is conditioned tap water.
I also checked Sydney tap water, straight from the tap, with same results.
I am a bit confused with your numbers for Gh and Kh. were you talking about degrees kH if so we need to multiply by 20????
How does this sound to you??
I have a bare btm tank presently with 9 juveniles 6 month old.
Thanks Jim

mistakes r crucial
Sun May 08, 2005, 09:15 PM
Sounds just about perfect Jim. Your Kh is approx 2 and Gh 4, just keep an eye on your Ph as it can swing with a Kh that low.
MAC