PDA

View Full Version : Not sure

Katie
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:24 AM
I am not sure if I should post this here. But I have a problem. I did a wc this afternoon which was a little larger then usual and re arranged some of the plants in my tank. I added geo liquid (have only started using it) and left everything looking fine.
I just walked back into the lounge room to find dead cardinals everywhere. Discus are fine (were a little dark but are showing their colours now) bn fine, glasscats fine too. I have just scooped all the cardinals out ( the discus were having a feild day eating them) and have done all the tests I have in my kit.
Readings are
ph: 7 (always steady)
nitrate: 0
nitrite: 0
amonia: 0.25 - this is the only thing that is puzzling me after a wc this is usually 0
It looks like chlorine shock, but since I age the water overnight that sholdn't be possible right?
There was a temp drop of 1 degree - down to 28 but wouldn't that have knocked the discus around too?
Are my discus doomed too? Is there anything I can do to stop this getting worse? I know the wc was alittle on the large side (40%) but I can't see that killing them all.
Any help would be appreciated

dddd68sg
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:47 AM
I would change 50% water now. The temp and ph would be the same as the tank and see wat happens next. Do not add the geo liquid now.

leanne31
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 09:06 AM
Your ammonia puzzles me as well I should think you should have no ammonia and a little nitrate but you say your nitrate is 0 is this a fully cycled tank you dont wash your filter in tap water do you :?:

Leanne

Katie
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:07 AM
Have just done another test amonia is now 0. Am still doing a 50 % wc as the water is still cloudy from the geo liquid. Discus still fine, though they have now hunted down the remaning cardinals. I have just lost about 30 of the healthiest cardinals I have owned.

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:59 AM
Katie it has to be the water. That is the only variable. Can you test the water coming straight out of your tap for ammonia.

Did you add any other chlorine neutralizer. I know Geo Liquid is supposed to do that, but maybe they have started adding chloramine to your water now.

Check with your local aquarium shop and see if any of the locals are having trouble with water changes.

dddd68sg
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:16 PM
If u have a PH tester u may wan to try it between yr tank and tap also.I have a bad experience before also becos if the geo liquid may/could have lowered yr PH in yr tank too drastic so some of the fish could not take it. I use to put the full dosage of black water extract yes the discus looks okay my my pecos, neon tetra, runny nose all went heaven. I brought in new fish and just a day they also died. Finally realise that my PH in the tank was around 4 plus but from LFS usually is around 6plus. That is why nowsaday i would only put half of the recommed dosage then slowly add up tp the full dosage now. :cry:

dddd68sg
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:19 PM
If u have a PH tester u may wan to try it between yr tank and tap also.I have a bad experience before also becos if the geo liquid may/could have lowered yr PH in yr tank too drastic so some of the fish could not take it. I use to put the full dosage of black water extract yes the discus looks okay my my pecos, neon tetra, runny nose all went heaven. I brought in new fish and just a day they also died. Finally realise that my PH in the tank was around 4 plus but from LFS usually is around 6plus. That is why nowsaday i would only put half of the recommed dosage then slowly add up tp the full dosage now. :cry:

Btw pls clean up all the dead bodies asap if not ammoia or others were boom.

leanne31
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:19 PM
I also use geo liquid and im sure I read on the booklet to still add a dechlorinator to the water before adding the geo liquid just wondering if you did this Katie you said you age your water as well do you add a heater and airstone and how long do you age for.

Leanne

Katie
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 07:14 AM
Lost 2 glass cats overnight. Went to lfs today and talked to him about it. He said something about chlorine being higher somedays then others. He didn't really have any sugestions either (not much help really). Doesn't have blackwater extract or Seacheam Prime (which I was hopeing for).
The geo liquid was the Discus concentrate which says on the leaflet that it removes chlorine etc, and lowers ph to 7 but I would have thought that the tetras would love that being as they like similar water parameters.
Ladyred, did I check on amonia in the tap water it came back 0. Ph 7.4 could that be it? It sits level at 7 in tank and in the barrel that it ages in. Is overnight long enough? I have been ageing water overnight for a few years and haven't had a problem like this before. I don't use dechorinator because I always thought sitting it overnight would clear that. Should I get some anyway?

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 08:06 AM
katie

water should sit for 24hours in a drum IMO

geo liquid dosn't clear chlorine IMO (Although i do like the product)

i'd say you have disturbed the sediment in your substrate and disolved the ammoniumnitrtaes in the substrate into your water table

in this process they many have converted into rawer forms

remember that you should only do one thing per day

one water change

one plant movement

one filter clean

etc etc

its saves problems IMHO

Katie
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 08:40 AM
Ahhh come to think of it, when I moved the banana lilly its root system was really vast, disturbed alot of substrate.......
Do you think I will have anymore losses? Or should things settle down now.

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 02:07 PM
Gee that's bad luck Katie. Hopefully that will be the last of the losses. I still think you should be using a chlorine and chloramine neutralizer. The water levels in the dams are so low at the moment, that they could be chucking any thing in there.

Dechlorinate in your tub before adding to the tank for best results.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 09:37 PM
and for the next week maybe a series of 30% changes daily

that should fix anything else

(and set your mind to rest)

:wink:

leanne31
Sun May 01, 2005, 02:10 AM
I agree with Merrilyn you def need to declorinate your water sitting in a tub overnight is not enough you would need to airate with a heater also for a min of 24 hours and still I dont think that will get rid of heavy metals and chloramines only the water conditioner will do that.

Leanne