PDA

View Full Version : Feeding BH

Tiger
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 03:14 AM
Hi,
Currently I am feeding my tank of Juv (abt 1.5 to 2.5") tetrabit and BW, the tank is serviced by cannister filter. So far so good. I am thinking of introducing BH to their diet, can it be done since I am also running canister. Your advice is very much appreciated, tks

africandiscus
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 03:55 AM
Yes, the type of filtration is not dependent on the food type

Tiger
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 07:18 AM
But I am worried about the BH been sucked into the cannister and give problem later.

chrissyoscar
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 08:32 AM
What you could do is turn of your cannister filter when feeding beefheart and after it's all finished switch it back on. If there are still bits in the tank then wait about an hour and if they're still some left syphon it out then switch the cannister back on.

That should keep the cannister clean from food bits.

Oscar

flukes
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 08:49 AM
Can always put a prefilter on your intake too your cannister, also help if you have small fish or intend on having fry some day...

You can get sponge from clark rubber that is aquarium safe, I normally buy a fair bit when i go as they are also good for sponge filters..

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:39 AM
Flukes has the right idea with a sponge pre filter pushed over the intake of the cannister filter.

I have tried turning the filter off during feeding time, but being a busy person, there is always the danger of forgetting to turn it back on again.

A simple sponge pre filter can easily be removed and cleaned every couple of days.

Tiger
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:17 AM
tks guys, think I will get a sponge as suggested, the only drawback is that the flow might be impacted.

axl
Sat May 14, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hi,
what are these filters called and how do they work and are they a good idea
cheers axl

Merrilyn
Sat May 14, 2005, 01:28 PM
Hi axl - what we are talking about is just using a piece of sponge over the intake of a cannister filter, to prevent the floating particles of beef heart going into the main filter.

This piece of sponge can be as simple as you like, or you can buy a sponge filter refill from the local fish shop.

Either way, you just take it off about once a week, rinse it well, and replace. Keeps the inside of your cannister filter clean, and cuts down on major maintenance.

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 10:18 PM
You can get sponge from clark rubber that is aquarium safe, I normally buy a fair bit when i go as they are also good for sponge filters..

Hi Scott

That is exactly what I did :) what a coincidence!! And that prefilters help me a lot, since I got them on the intake I only clean my cannisters once a month if I am lazy enough I leave it for 2 months - I know I should not :(

ctvu

chris
Wed May 18, 2005, 04:12 AM
Hey guys got any pics of those sponge filters.
I take it there just hollow sponge that sleeves over the intake :!:

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:08 AM
Not hollow. I just use a round piece of sponge that I cut out with the sharp top of an empty tin can. That gets the overall round shape, and then I cut an 'X' in the top with a sharp knife and slip it over the intake.

Easy as.