PDA

View Full Version : Condensation within Heater

Bad Inferno
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:34 PM
I just noticed a small amount of condensation in two of my 200watt heaters. Is this normal...as the heaters are only 1 year old. I do have them submerged however the control head is only 0.5" under the water line.

Ben
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 02:35 AM
Hi Inferno,
I noticed the same thing on one of my heaters, i have the heater in a water aging drum.
In theory its not a good sign, It might be worth up grading to another heater as you dont want it to break down and either cook the fish or complety die.

HTH

Ben

wild_amazon
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 06:17 AM
I have condensation on both of my tetrac tec and 2 new rena heaters. I have few old rena heaters too and none of them have condensation. I had been using rena heaters exclusively for around 15 years, I must say I don't quite like the new one. They don't seem to be as reliable as the old ones. One of them almost cook my fish when the switch stuck and water went to 36.6 C, it was only few months old. Next time I get a heater I will try other brand other than Rena and Tetra, maybe Jager.

Katie
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 06:24 AM
I found that this would happen if I just stuck the heater in my tank, without letting it 'aclimatise' for a few minutes first. HTH.
Brandwise I would spend the extra money and get Jager, they are the best heaters IMO

wild_amazon
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 07:01 AM
Are we suppose to acclimatise heater? I didn't know that.

flukes
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 08:41 AM
Just helps if you font wack it on as soon as it hit the water... But not a big deal...

Littlefish
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 09:52 AM
A heater I bought in 1970 has always had a little condensation inside when in use. Still going strong after nearly 35 years!

I'd attach a photo but I haven't figured out how to make the file small enough to send without the picture going all fuzzy.

Fred

Blue
Fri May 13, 2005, 09:26 PM
These are the best heaters money can buy.
http://www.underworldproducts.co.uk/AQ02c.html
They are extremely good for heating/aging water as they dont mind being thrown in and out of the cupboard.

Barry

Merrilyn
Fri May 13, 2005, 10:18 PM
They look great Barry. Anyone seen them in Australia?

Blue
Fri May 13, 2005, 11:56 PM
They are seriously great, I smack them on the counter as a sales technique, solid.

If they're not there already get someone to start importing them.

That Kevkoi seems a nice guy, maybe he could do it. :lol:

Barry

Littlefish
Sat May 14, 2005, 12:23 AM
Wow - Good stuff!

Are they seriously expensive?

Fred

Blue
Sat May 14, 2005, 08:03 AM
Not in England.

Do you guys get Visitherm heaters as they should be available through any shop that gets those.

Barry

Littlefish
Sat May 14, 2005, 09:32 AM
I haven't seen Visitherm, but I have to say I don't buy a lot of equipment these days, mainly because I'm tight as a fish's ...

The other folks on here would know for sure.

Fred