PDA

View Full Version : Female BD Ill need advice

iamking
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 07:15 AM
It all started last friday (22nd). I was feeding my fish getting them ready to go away for the long weekend as i was going away for 4 days. As i was feeding them something spooked my female Blue diamond. She went skitz and she rammed in the cannister filter intake and got a deep cut. I had to go in 5-10 mins so i quickly looked at her she looked alright a little spooked she was just on the ground upright next to the sponge filter. I told mum to just put some melafix in each day and keep an eye on her.
She was doing fine. But all she done was sat in the corner (next to the sponge filter) and came out very ocasionally. There is no signs of fungus on her wound or anything and all seemed fine. But today while i was in the fishroom she started going around in circle slowly going on her side laying on the bottom of the tank like she was really drunk. She only done this for about a minute then went back to her corner.
The water level was down because i siphoned the gunk out of the bottom so she didnt get infected because she was on the ground a fair bit. And they hadnt had a water change for about a week. So i thought i would just top it up a little. As i was putting the first jug of water in she went mental she was spining in circles going all around the tank hitting the class. She then stopped was on the bottom flat in a corner at the front for about 20-30seconds then she swam back over to her corner. She is looking thin. Although she is eating a little each day.

My tanks details are

Size: Standard 4ft
pH: 6.3-6.4
Ammonia :0
Nitrite: 0
Temp: 28c
Filtration: Cannister filter (not exactly sure which one but can check if need be) and a sponge filter.

What does everyone suggest i should do? I thought that she would be over the shock by now. Do you she sick in anyway? there are no physical signs of illness. Also how long do i keep up the melafix? The wound has healed but not fully yet. Do i keep up normal water changes? even if she goes mental like that?
I have tried to give as much detail as i could thats why it is so long. If there is anything else you would like to know ask me and i will do the best i can to tell you.

Thanks everyone, I dont want to loose her :cry:

flukes
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 09:07 AM
Melafix is a great start for any wound.. Youve done good there..

have you aged your water? Could be clorhine, or chloramines in the fresh water that is going into her wounds and causing her pain, in which she reacts like that..

Was the water poured on her or near her..

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 09:08 AM
It's a worry when they get spooked like that, especially when you can't see a real reason.

I've got a couple of suggestions. First, stop using the Melafix. I find other things work better on Discus. (It's still great for your bettas).

Start doing daily water changes of around 20% or whatever you can manage without getting her too spooked. Pour the water into the tank very gently, preferably into your hand first to reduce the current. Keep all movements around the tank calm and unhurried. Do your normal maintenance, but just at a slower pace. You can also add cooking salt, at the rate of one teaspoon per 40 lts of tank water.

What other fish are in the tank with your discus. Do you have gravel or bare bottom, and how long has it been set up.

Observe your fish for the next week. We may be dealing with gill or body flukes here. That can make them pretty skittish, so see if any fish are flicking off the rocks or plants

iamking
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your help so far

There is only a male BD in there with her. I bought them as a pair from SLS. It is a bare bottom tank. There is nothing else in there except a breeding cone and spong filter (and heater). The male is perfectly fine and is always close to the female. It has been setup for about 3 months now. The cannister filter has been running for over a year now though .

I only used melafix because it is what i had and know it worked on bettas. The wound has healed pretty well like i said before that is why i am worried because i don't think that this is the cause of it.

My water is put into a tub, aged and treated. She was in the middle of the tank when i started to pour it in and i poured it down the side of the glass.

Is there anything else that you suggest i should add?

Thanks, Matt

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:16 AM
Just add the salt and observe for the next few days.

That's about all you can do at this stage.

iamking
Tue May 03, 2005, 05:02 AM
Thanks for your help it looks like she is going to live. She is now eating normally and swimming normally again. She hasn't gone spaz again either.

Matt

Merrilyn
Tue May 03, 2005, 07:40 AM
Sounds good Matt. Keep us posted.