PDA

View Full Version : First Post discus plans

sleepers
Tue Apr 26, 2005, 08:07 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I've been a fish hobbyist on and off (on whenever I could keep it in my apartments) for years, caring for simpler fish like community tropicals and goldfish.

But since day one I've loved discus. I now have a 55 gallon tank and I've got some questions about the types of communities you can set up with discus.

In particular, I'd love to see if I can't pair a few discus (how many?) with some angel fish (I'm aware they sometime carry diseases, but if I go through someone super professional like liveaquaria I think I'll be alright).

Secondarily, I already own two plecos and have taken some interest in African Black Ghost Knife fish, both of which can withstand the lower KH levels needed for discus/angels. Are they compatible in everyone's experience? I've heard conflicting stories...

And sorry, my final question: what methods does everyone recommend for softening water on a regular basis? Especially in the beginning, when you're going to want to change the water more frequently...

Sorry to bombard you. Cheers!

goldenpigeon
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 01:07 AM
hey sleeper! welcome to the discus forum!

black ghosts and plecs go well with discus and angels. but black ghosts will eat tetras when the get to about 13cm.

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 06:03 AM
Hi Sleepers, welcome to the forum. We have lots of members from the USA, so you're in good company.

Now, let me say this up front. It is not a good idea to keep discus in a community tank. Yes, it can be done, but it always seems to be less successful.

Okay, having got that out of the way, there a lot of members who have other species in their discus tanks, myself included, but it just takes a bit more looking after.

The problem with angels, is that they can carry a lot of parasites, that don't necessarily affect them, but may be fatal to your discus. So, quarantine is absolutely essential for the angels before they go in with the discus.

Your black Ghost knife fish will be fine, but the plecs can be a bit of a problem because they have been known to suck on the sides of the discus when they get bigger. Since you already own them, I'd just keep an eye on them to see if they develop a taste for discus slime.

I'm not familiar with your water in Washington, but you may need to invest in a Reverse Osmosis unit to cope with your water changes.

Can you tell us what your water is out of the tap, and after it has been aged for 48 hours. The treatment necessary will depend on those readings.

sleepers
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks all...

Very helpful. I"ll have to get some readings tomorrow (work is killer today for me).

The only thing is, I've had trouble even coming across a reader for softness. Does anyone have any product recommendations?

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 01:04 PM
It's called a Water Hardness Test Kit, and there should be a lot of good brands available at your local pet shop.