PDA

View Full Version : Plant Problem

DR.V
Tue Apr 26, 2005, 01:26 PM
Hi all , I have a planted tank and some of my plant are turning pale in some area in the middle of the leaf. Day after day it turns paler and eventually turns transparent and break off, as shown in the pic. Does anyone know why this is happening ??

My water :
pH 6.5
kH 3-4
temp 28-29
no CO2
uses 4X55W light bulb
carbon in the filter
sera fertilizer every water changes which is once a week

Many Many Thankss

DR.V
Tue Apr 26, 2005, 01:27 PM
oops sorry the pic is too big !
i know that this is due to lack of nutrients, but i dont know which one ? is it iron ?

chris
Tue Apr 26, 2005, 01:43 PM
Hey Dr V how are you. I had this exact same problem.
I dont know what causes it is definately something with the water.
Recently Ive had some nitrate problems, but is now quickly under control with regular water changes.
I used to do about 30to40% water changes once a week.
At the moment I do them every 2 to 3 days.
My Plants (swords) are now strong as. I use no Fert.

DR.V
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the info, but is there any way to reduce the nitrate level by putting something inside the filter ?? Thanks all

leanne31
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 07:44 AM
Sorry DrV the only way to get rid of nitrate is through wc, have you tested your nitrate levels to see if they are high.

Leanne

DR.V
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:03 AM
i havent test it yet, i will buy some test kit this weekend and i will inform u guys wether the reading is high or not

chris
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 12:54 PM
Shouldnt take long to reduce your nitrate levels if they are high,
apparently mine were off the scale, later that day after a water change 40% levels droped dramatically, after two more water changes a couple of days apart, 0 readings :!:

duck
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 04:09 AM
Don't know how big your tanks is but you a running 220watts of light ,which you might really need to consider CO2 and i would lose the carbon.

DR.V
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 05:08 AM
my tank is 4X2X2. Im planning to have a set of CO2 but its quite expensive, around $500 i think. So im still saving right now ^_-

kalebjarrod
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 05:13 AM
you would think that problem would be a Iron defecciancey

but to be sure can you tell us a little more about your problems

Light
(we know there is no CO2)
substrate
ferts

DR.V
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 12:44 PM
lights are 4X55W white light
substrate is a natural gravel only
ferts is sera liquid fert

Does that help ??

duck
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:58 AM
Nitrate?
Phosphate?
Does your water come out of the tap @6.5 PH.
How long do you leave the light's on for?
Have you still got the carbon?
You might want to start some diyCO2for the moment.

DR.V
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:17 PM
havent try to test the nitrate and phosphate ... what are these things do anyway ?? isnt this thing comes from fish waste ?? My tap water is around 7.2-7.5 i use a little bit of pH down and the rest is the driftwood. The lights are on for 10 hours a day.
Yes, i still have some carbon in the sump to help the water crystal clear. Coz i got lots of driftwood, the water turns a bit darker without carbon .

Thanks for your info duck

DR.V
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 01:04 PM
I tried DIY CO2 long time ago, but didnt work well
I think my tank is too big for a DIY CO2 ...
I used to use a air stone, and it turn slimmy every
day, so i had to clean them everyday.

dreamer
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 01:28 PM
liquid fert is good ...but root tabs work better for this kind of plant. cheap source of iron is clay ....go dig somewhere out in your backyard :p

DR.V
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 02:18 PM
clay ???? how about i put some clay pot inside the tank ???
Terracota pot , i think they called...

kalebjarrod
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:32 PM
cheap source of iron is clay ....go dig somewhere out in your backyard

you are so close to being right without being right

clay is not a good source of Iron, it only has the potenial to hold the iron and then relaise it when nessecary

it has what is called a excellent cation exchange capacity

other things that have a great CEC are kitty litter (what i use) and eco complete (what duck is using)

I used to use a air stone, and it turn slimmy every
day, so i had to clean them everyday.

airstones do get clogged daily, you could try a few things

1. a small power head and simple insert the airline from your DIY CO2 reactors (this is really inefficient as you lose alot of the co2 quickly)

2. Make a diffuser to stick on the powerhead

3. buy a reactor http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod582.htm

I agree with the root tabs idea, i use a homebrand one every 2 months

rtraher
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 09:03 PM
What is the homemade brand of root tab you use, is it diy? I'd be interested in the recipe.

cheers
Russel

duck
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 04:11 AM
clay ....go dig somewhere out in your backyard :p

And the potential to wipe out your tank,And a BIG mess.

Plant's basicly need nitrate and phosphate.

DIY CO2 should be ok.

Not to hijack the thread Just to let you know that i just gave myself green water :oops: :lol: :shock: :roll: :But that another story on it's own

dreamer
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 04:27 AM
im not saying put a ton of clay in the tank, make some clay balls and bury it near the root. i have no experience with this but many have suggested that clay is good source of iron in many planted tank forums.

when i still have planted tank i used those pellet type of ferts from bunnings/supermarket i put about 1 tsp near root for my sword plants and they grow like crazy.

just need to remember these sword plants absorb nutrients from root

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 07:56 AM
i understand your statement but it is only true if you understand the media

iron is only held by the clay, it is not clay

iron needs a CEC componet to be maintainde in a tank

clay is that component :wink:

DR.V
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the opinions guys...
So basiclly for a green tank, i will need high level of iron and phosphate issit ??
I will try and buy a difuser and connect it to the DIY CO2. I went to Strictly Aquarium today (NSW) and they had a JBL CO2 complete set for up to 500L tank and it was AUD$335... quite cheap i think, what do u think??

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 09:53 PM
not bad, but go online

you can get some great systems cheap

just do a little research

duck
Sun May 01, 2005, 01:36 AM
Basicly you need some levels of nitrate not iron and phosphate like a ratio of 10-1 Nitrate - Phosphate will be a good start and CO2.
Then you want to consider adding trace like seachem Flourish.
CO2 is alway a plus at any lighting level.

DR.V
Sun May 01, 2005, 05:44 AM
seachem Flourish or sera florena is better ???
Thanks

duck
Sun May 01, 2005, 07:27 AM
anyone will do.

DR.V
Sun May 01, 2005, 01:29 PM
thank u...

goldenpigeon
Sun May 01, 2005, 10:28 PM
i can get a co2 set up for a 6ft tank for only $140....... my special price is $128 :D

dreamer
Mon May 02, 2005, 12:28 AM
whats included in the co2 setup?

goldenpigeon
Mon May 02, 2005, 05:49 AM
it is 1 of those 1's u put the cartgiges in. ryan would know what it is.

kalebjarrod
Mon May 02, 2005, 06:55 AM
YEP Its a electronic CO2 setup

goldenpigeon
Mon May 02, 2005, 06:59 AM
yer thats the 1! i knew u knew ryan!

kalebjarrod
Mon May 02, 2005, 07:02 AM
i know all

LOL

dreamer
Mon May 02, 2005, 07:24 AM
the catridge one is no good ....

kalebjarrod
Mon May 02, 2005, 08:08 AM
please explain?

dreamer
Mon May 02, 2005, 08:39 AM
this product used to be expensive $300+ but it didnt sell very well, shop which still carry this item definitely want to get rid of them quickly hence low price.

what happened when you need the catridge eplacement? it probably discontinued due to lack of demand by now. so better ask the shop if they can/will order/get the catridge for you.

this seem cheaper to start, but it end up cost alot more in the long term.

kalebjarrod
Mon May 02, 2005, 08:48 AM
this seem cheaper to start, but it end up cost alot more in the long term.

i understand your objections to the idea

i would like to point out a couple of positives

1. there cheaper now as you have stated

2. No gas plumbing which may put off people of less DIY "handyness"

3. SIMPLE

it is a simple in for the CO2less out there

dreamer
Mon May 02, 2005, 08:57 AM
this is probably the simpliest co2 setup but why didnt it sell?? im not saying its bad ...but there must be something that put people off apart from price as dupla setup can easily cost 2-3x more.

yes they are cheap now, that because they are not selling well .... will the replacement catridge readily available? or the shop simply going to say 'sorry we dont stock them anymore?' what are you going to do with it?

well thats my opinion ...

kalebjarrod
Mon May 02, 2005, 09:01 AM
vaild opinion

thats the great thing about a personal opinion, its personal so its hard to be wrong

i think the product has merit and hopefuuly they will supply cartriges in the future :wink:

DR.V
Mon May 02, 2005, 12:03 PM
Heii all ... i also got one of those electronic co2 ...
they're not good... Sometimes when the fish tap them, some white stuff will fall from the catrige, i dont know what that white stuff is ....

oh well... i might buy the JBL co2 ^^

Davo
Tue May 03, 2005, 02:10 PM
Gday Dr V,

First off go to some very good planted tank sites that I have learnt heaps from -

www.plantedtank.net.com (then go to the forum section)

www.aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc (another good site)

Also look up Rex Grigg at www.rexgrigg.com

www.thekrib.com and anything written by Tom Barr.

After you have perused these sites you may be enlightened.

Your tank could just be unbalanced. You may need to add some substrate fertilizers eg. root tabs etc. Just having normal gravel/sand is not enough. I also don't think you need any phosphates as the food you feed your fish should suffice.

Before adding any nitrates etc I would check your levels. The test kits are not that expensive.

Also how many litres is your tank. Do you have enough wattage for you tank or do you have too much.

If you have high wattage and add ferts you will need CO2. The size of your tank will then determine what type of CO2 system you will need. I would stay clear of the cartridge type system as all I have heard of them are bad reviews (cost of replacement cartridges etc). If you are serious I would go for a pressurised system, they might cost more but they get the best results.

If you need any more info PM me.

Dave.

DR.V
Wed May 04, 2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks for all the info Davo...
My tank is 4X2X2 so around 450L
And i use 4X 55Watt white light,
I dont use any blue light at all

Thanks, going to check out all the sites that u listed there ^^

Gezz this forum helps so much !!!! love it!

vishy
Wed May 04, 2005, 01:59 PM
Hey,
Co2 isn't as expensive as people may think, i scored a regulator with i gauge and needle valve for $70 or you can buy a tunze for $150 with two gauges. The bottle you can just rent from BOC gases for about $9 a month(this would last a year. Make a bubble counter and reactor only real cost is the regulator. I have also possisioned the tank outside my bedroom window just incase it did leak.
Matt

DR.V
Wed May 04, 2005, 11:15 PM
sounds great, can u show us some pic please ??
Thanks

Del
Thu May 05, 2005, 03:43 AM
My LFS suggested I put a product called "CLEARWATER" into my cannister filter. It is in a mesh bag.

This combined with a 30% WC every 2nd day has seen my Nitrate levels drop. Also re-arranging the noodles, filter medium and filter pad in the filter - it has made all the difference. Any opinions with this?

vishy
Thu May 05, 2005, 01:09 PM
hey,
here's a link to the tunze regulator http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/5055 although i bought my regulator off a mate here in perth.
Matt

DR.V
Thu May 05, 2005, 01:14 PM
hmm ic .. thanks for the info