PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating

DR.V
Tue Apr 26, 2005, 12:45 PM
I got one small red melon in a comm tank about 5cm. Its not eating for about 2 weeks now, always stay under a cave , which is a driftwood , and never come out. I just noticed that its soooo skinny and look like only bones left. I already move it to a small tank by itself and planning to chuck tons of food to regain its weight. It look really skinny !!!

Any suggestions ??
Thanks

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 26, 2005, 01:05 PM
Not all discus do well in a community tank. They are shy feeders, and often miss out when there are other hungry mouths in the tank.

Put the little fellow into the tank on his own, put plenty of plants in there and give him lots of good food. Some small tankmates, like tetras will make him feel more comfortable.

DR.V
Tue Apr 26, 2005, 01:13 PM
yes , other discus grow normally and eating a lot
So seperating it would be fine ?
Thanks ladyred

DR.V
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 06:10 AM
Hello ladyred , i already seperate the fish by itself only. Havent got any change to get some tank mates and plants. I noticed that this morning that its waste is white, like milk white. And still sticking to its body. Whats wrong with this fish??

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 06:53 AM
It sounds like the little fish is suffering from Hexemita (also known as HITH or HLLE). Read this advice that I gave to another member with a fish suffering similar symptons, and start treatment as soon as you can.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It can be transmitted to your other fish, possibly thru contaminated droppings, although little scientific work has been done in this area. It is believed that the pathogen responsible for Hole in the Head (also known by a variety of other names such as Hex, head and lateral line erosion and wasting disease) is Spironucleus Vortens.

An infected fish may show one or several of the following symptoms:-

Skin lesions around the head area.
Turning dark.
Refusing to eat.
White jelly like droppings.
Muscle wasting and pinched appearance above the eyes.

The best drug to use is Metronidazole (Flagyl) which you will need to get from your local vet. Ring first to see if he will prescribe it after seeing a photo of the fish, or if he insists on seeing the fish himself.

1. Do a 30% water change.
2. Set the temperature to 30 degrees, no higher.
3. Add 250 mg Metro per 40 Litres of water. Crush tablets to fine powder and mix with water to form a paste before adding to the tank.
4. After 12 hours, do another 30% water change and repeat the dose. This should be done for a total of 3 days.
5. During treatment the tank lights should be left off. Metro is affected by light.
6. A variety of good quality, high protein food with added vitamins and minerals should be fed several times daily. Include prepared dry food, beef heart, brine shrimp, green vegetable matter and blood worms in the diet. Remove any uneaten food and keep the water very clean.

Hope that helps.

DR.V
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:44 AM
thanks for the info ladyred

chris
Fri May 06, 2005, 02:06 PM
Hey Drv how did you go with your tretment :?:

chris
Mon May 09, 2005, 12:41 PM
Hey DRV Just checkin again How did your Fish go with hat Hex treatment :?: