PDA

View Full Version : Fry problem

DR.V
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:02 AM
Most of my fry are free swim now, i counted that i had about 50 of them. But now only 10 left, most of them are eaten by their parents. Is this normal? Is there something i can do to prevent this happening in the next spawn ?? Thanks

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:42 AM
Most unusual for the parents to actually eat free swimming fry. Are you sure they ate them, or did the fry perish.

Test your water for ammonia. Fry are very sensitive to ammonia.

DR.V
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:44 AM
Im quite sure, because i saw the male eat one of the fry. I will check the ammonia too, of course.
Is there any way to keep the ammonia level down?
Is daily water changes is enough to keep it down ?
Thanks ladyred

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:49 AM
Hmmmm most unusual Dr v. Let's hope he doesn't make a habit of eating his fry. He may have decided that it was too dangerous out there for them, so this was his way of removing them from the danger. Sometimes the ones that start out as really bad parents, turn out to be the best parents of the lot. Give them a bit more time.

Daily water changes will remove the ammonia, if your filter is not keeping up with the amount the fish are producing. If you get any ammonia reading, you need to start changing larger amounts of water.

DR.V
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 09:11 AM
Im using a sponge filter for this tank. Is that effect the ammonia in the water? I will try and make a cage, i think prodigydiscus had shown us how to make them in other thread. I will shop to bunningwarehouse tomorrow.

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 09:22 AM
The cage is placed over the cone to stop the parents eating the eggs.

It won't protect the fry once they are free swimming. That's something the parents will have to work out for themselves.

DR.V
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I noticed a few eggs were eaten by the parents. So i will protect it anyway... Thanks for all the info ladyred

mta
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 06:37 AM
You can raise the fry yourself if you got time.I found the same problem till i purchased a book by the well known discus breeder Jack Wattley

nicholas76
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 07:06 AM
doc,

a little off topic but how are your babys going? the last batch of those little golden discus ?

time for a pic update mate