PDA

View Full Version : Filters for breeding tanks

chris
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:49 PM
What sort of filter can someone recommend me for a breeding set up.
Ive got a 2 foot tank Bout 80l, I thinking about going bare bottom.
My pair of turqs currently live in a gravel bottom tank, does the change upset the fish :?:

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:57 PM
I like to use just a really simple sponge filter in my breeding tanks. With the amount of water changes you should be doing, there will be no chance of ammonia build up. A well cycled sponge filter will do a great job in the breeding tank, and the fry like to pick food off it.

Once the fry are a bit older, I will transfer over a small cannister filter, as well as the sponge. Works a treat.

chris
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the advice merrilyn I will use a sponge filter, what about the difference introducing my fish to a non gravel bottom :?:

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah, it usually does freak them out for a couple of days, but they get over it. I give them two breeding cones, one in each corner to begin with. Gives them another place to hide. You can remove it once they have selected a cone for their eggs.

If you want to make the transition a bit easier, paint the outside of the bottom of the tank with black paint. Helps to stop the glare.

chris
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:21 PM
Is it more beneficial to use a bare bottom tank, Its alway concerned me about bacteria, I feel gravel is a good spot for bacteria to grow.

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:56 PM
You're right. Gravel is a good place for the bacteria to grow. It's also a bad place for uneaten food to hide, and for tiny fry to get lost in. Bare bottom is so much easier for the parents to locate their fry, and for you to clean.

A mature sponge from a well cycled tank, along with daily water changes, will take care of all the ammonia problems in that tank.

leanne31
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:57 PM
If your gonna have a sponge filter going thats where all your good bacteria will be you will find a bb much easier for breeding as you can see the poo etc and siphon it out also I was watching Karens fish the other day with their wrigglers and when they droped off the cone the fish would pick them up and put them back, in a gravel tank they would have no chance of being found they're so tiny. Run your sponge for a while in your main tank to get the bacteria going on it though and you'll also have to up the wc a lot more as I dont think the fry will handle the nitrate problem that you had in your main tank, have you got that under control yet and hows your fish acting now, bit happier :?:

Leanne

leanne31
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:58 PM
You beat me to the punch Merrilyn. :lol:

Leanne

Rossco
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 10:17 PM
just a tip on sponge filters for breeding,i used to use the kiss bio max sponge filter,take out the small carbon container and fill it with ceramic noodels :o

spencer
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 09:41 AM
Hi Rossco,
I was looking at getting a couple of these, why do you take the carbon out?

cheers Max

DR.V
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 12:29 PM
sponge filter is doing a great job with breeding tank so fry wont get suck, also you will need to do water changes every day. Just buy bigger sponge filter for bigger tank :p

DiscusMan
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:31 PM
Most sponge filters come with black sponges. These could turn out on being a problem if the parents dont turn the darker colour when spawning. In these cases the babies may be attracted to the sponge filter instead of the parents.
I have a pair of golden that i need to remove all dark abjoects form the tank in order to ge them to attach. So far i have only had one batch not attach.

I have been meaning to do this for a while myself but i think clark rubber should have some sponge that is the right density in a much better colour than black or dark grey that you can remake the sponge out of or better still make you r own sponge filter with a piece of conduit and a nice coloured piece of sponge made to measure.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Wayne

ctvu
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 01:59 AM
Hi Rossco,
I was looking at getting a couple of these, why do you take the carbon out?

cheers Max

Hi Max

Apprently discus does not like black thing j/k :). It is fine when it is still ativated, but when its not activated it would be leaking back what it has absorbed. So u need to replace it over and over again. Personally I would remove it too, unless removing med that I am going to do soon.

ctvu

spencer
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 04:15 AM
Cheers ctvu
Thanks for that

regards Max