PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody running a cannister filter on there breeding tank

chrissyoscar
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:21 PM
I was wondering if anybody is running cannister filters on there breeding tanks. If so what do you do when you have wrigglers?.
I know most people use sponge filters but at my last attempt at breeding I could never keep the water looking clean. I was told by OAFI that I should use a cannister filter on the breeding tank. He told me to swift it of when and if I get wrigglers but that doesn't make sense to me as the bacteria in the filter will die.
So if anyone is using a cannister filter and successfully breed please let me know what you do.

Thanks.. Oscar

Ben
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:25 AM
Hi Oscar, :wink:
I have 2 canistar filter on 2 tanks but they are not very breeding. I would have to say that the problem with a cannister filter is there could be too much water current and the eggs would not be fertilzed properly.
I would have to say very regular water changes should keep good water conditions under control.
I have sponge filters on all my breeding tanks and i perform a water change every 48 hours minimum!

Lets see what others think.... :)

Ben

chrissyoscar
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks Ben

The water current wont be an issue as I've drilled extra holes on the spray bar which has reduced the current dramatically.
My main concern is with the intake hose. I'm worried about wrigglers or small fry being sucked up. An option I'm leaning towards is getting some flywire and making a little section to seperate the intake hose.
It'll be interesting to see what others do.

By the way how are your fry going?
I'll have some extra room in my display tank soon :wink: :lol:

Oscar

leanne31
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:53 AM
Hi Oscar my sister uses canisters on all her breeding tanks she uses some sort of netting over the intake pipe I'll ask her when I talk next Im due to go round and see the babies that she is giving me anyway good excuse to check up on them. :lol:

Leanne

chrissyoscar
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks Leanne

That sounds like a great idea. The good thing about a net is it will also stop food from being sucked up which is one of the reasons cannisters filters are known as nitrate factorys.

Thanks heaps.. Oscar

dreamer
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:08 AM
pre-filter on the intake ...

chrissyoscar
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks Dreamer

The problem with a pre-filter on the intake is that all the ones I've seen are black. The wrigglers will be atracted to it and because of the suction caused by the intake hose they might get stuck to the sponge.

Oscar

[/b]

dreamer
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 02:26 AM
you can make one yourself ....get some foam and cut to size

Kaza
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 02:33 AM
As leanne said I use them on all my breeding tanks. I buy white wadding and sew a cover around the filter intake tube. Takes a couple of minutes. However I still have to restrict the amount of water as even with the pre filter on the babies can get stuck to it and die attempting to free them selves. I have fluvel filters which allow you to restrict the amount of water. You only need to do this for the first week to ten days.

wild_amazon
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 02:52 AM
Yes you can stuck a sponge on the intake. I used to put a sponge on a trickle filter intake pipe on my breeding tank (long time ago) and worked well. Simple need to wash it when you do water change. It's easier on trickle filter intake pipe before the sponge will be on water surface. The fish layed eggs on the intake pipe too. Regarding water current, you can probably stick a sponge around the outflow pipe to reduce current. If you do this you will need airstone since it will reduce water surface movement to almost nothing.

Mattzilla
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 06:08 AM
i found a light blue sponge that i use on my filter intakes.... not sure what brand they are but they have a removable core so the slip right over the intake. i fold part of the core in two and stuff it back in the bottom of the sponge so thatthe intake tube is completely covered

Mattzilla
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 06:09 AM
found an old pic

Jonesy
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 07:44 AM
i run a aqua one 1000 littre an hour in my breeding tank... i just turn it of when thay are about to beeed...

chris
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:54 PM
Really :shock: How do the fish react :?:

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:00 PM
That's a pretty large amount of water Jonesy. Do you deflect it thru a spray bar, or have you got some way of turning it down.

chrissyoscar
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I'm going to make my own pre-filter out of a 1lt rectangle bottle with the sides cut out and then wrap a stocking around it. Hope it works.

flukes
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 06:50 AM
just get a sponge from clark rubber and wack that on, they will even cut it too size four you...

I made sponge filters with the stuff, its good and cheap too.

Cheaper too buy a big piece so i did then i just used a can i cut in half too cut the foam in a circle. You could do the same thing for an intake...

chrissyoscar
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks Scott

I've got a Clark Rubber near by so I might pop over today and have a look at what they have.

Thanks.. Oscar

Jonesy
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 12:42 AM
no i dont turn it down at all ... i dont even use a spray bar.. i just use a angle bit so it does not blow my gravel every were ...

and i have had 2 pairs spwan in that tank so i must be doing something right ...

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 06:56 AM
Well, sounds like it's working mate. So keep doing whatever you are doing :wink: