PDA

View Full Version : Would this be overstocked.

flukes
Sun Mar 28, 2004, 06:24 AM
I have a 3ft tank (3x14x18) and currently it has 3 discus (2x8-9cm and 1x7-8cm) 2 Albino cory's and 2 bristle nose catfish. It is a mediaum planted tank (see photo's). Well my question is do you think i could fit another young discus in?? I wanted to get one today because i had the chance for a great price on a sunrise. Its one of the best sunrise ive seen, its 6cm and he was going to give it to me for $30. I was wondering if you think i could fit it in with the others till i get my tank up and running?
I know they say 10gal per adult discus so in my tank i should be able to keep 4 but that is minus the gravel plants and smaller fish etc. I am currently waiting on a stand for 3 teir 4ftr. But i dont know how long it will be, do you think i could fit another in there for say a month maximum??

I know its hard to say, and when i asked my local discus importer (OAFI) today he told me it would be fine. I just dont want to stunt them. The water quality wont be a problem as iam now doing 20% water changes everyday.

Any suggestions??
Ideas??

I really want this fish as ive been looking for a nice one and this is the best i have seen anywhere. And its only $30!!
But i dont want to get it, if its not going to grow to its full potential.

Cheers
Scott

IKeepFish
Sun Mar 28, 2004, 08:00 AM
G'day Flukes,

You are correct in sizing your tank - 39.2 US gallons
So if you have the water 1 inch from the top,
add gravel, rocks, etc You would be closer to 30 gallons.
You should therefore only stock it with 3 adult Discus.
That said, at the moment you only have 3 Juveniles, plus a couple of other small fish so for the month or so till you "NEW" tank is ready, you should be fine.

When they talk of an "Adult Discus" they mean a Mature 15 to 18 cm + fish.

You also mention that you do daily water changes. :)
Another plus which would theoretically increase the stocking capacity.

The sunrise sounds like a bargain so go for it.
As usual I would suggest constant monitoring of the Ammonia and pH
after you add fish. ( Increase the stocking level )
Just to make sure that you are not overloading your filter.
After all it is the filter capacity that really matters NOT the size of you tank.
A big tank with inadequate filtration will kill fish !!
A smaller tank with an efficient well seeded ( established ) filter
will keep them happy. :D

Gallons / fish is a measure that should give each fish adequate "room to move", hide, establish territory etc.

Good luck and have fun,
Regards,
IkeepFish