PDA

View Full Version : Jager 200w heater

chrissyoscar
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:43 AM
I purchased a Jager 200w heater yesterday from
http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/ and it arrived this morning. I was amazed that it got here in one day considering it was sent from Perth and I'm in Melbourne.
The size of the heater surprised me as it's about 30% larger than my 300w heater and they claim it will heat 300-400 liters of water.
If it's true then I will definetly save on the power bills and the heater comes with a 3year warranty. I'll let you know how it performs over the next few weeks.
It's in my 30x14x18 breeding tank which is in the garage so it should cope as it's only about 100L.
If it perform well I might move it into my 48x18x18 tank and purchase a smaller Jager, perhaps a 125w or 150w. They claim a 125w can heat 150-200L and a 150w can heat 200-300L. Not bad if it's true.

Oscar

jim
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:56 AM
Hi Oscar,

Please give us feed back...I am thinking of buying one also...but afraid it can not keep up the temp setting as it claims...

chrissyoscar
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 02:04 AM
Not a problem.
I've got it set for 28c so I'll take temperature readings in the morning and late afternoon. The big test will come in winter as the tanks in the garage the cold nights will test it.

Oscar

Ben
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Oscar!
Those Jager heater are really good!
I have one of them with my OG's.
It keeps the temp pretty spot on, only going down a maximum of 1.45 of a degree.
They are an expensive heater but well worth the extra expense when used in a breeding tank.

One thing i noticed the light seems to stay on all the time. I have only recently noticed this when looking at the tank in the dark.
While other heaters lights go on and off this seems to stay on?
Maybe thats the design.

Keep us posted on how your discus go!

Cheers,
Ben

chrissyoscar
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks Ben

I'm only guessing but maybe the light remains on as long as it has power but the heating element goes on and off. I just checked the temp on the breading tank and it's 27.4c and yes the light on the heater is on.
As the tank has no discus yet I might deliberately raise the temp to about 35-40c and see if the heater light goes out.
Here's a picture of my male Spotted Snakeskin.
I'm still trying to decide what to pair him up with. I have a nice female Red Turq and a Female Coral Snakeskin. The Red Turq has laid eggs in the past but the Coral has never paired up. I'm assuming this is because the two males I have are figting for the Red Turq as she's a larger more mature discus.
Sorry about the photo it's a little dark. When I decide who to pair him up with and they're in the breeding tank I'll take some better shots.

By the way Ben can you please let me know how much your breeding cones cost and were you got them from. I have a nice tall terracotta pot but it's a little large so I want to get a skinnier nicer looker cone.

Oscar

chrissyoscar
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:42 AM
Just put a bucket of hot water into the tank which raised the temp from 27.5c to 32c. After about 30 sec the heater light went off.

Ben
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:26 AM
Hi Oscar,
Maybe you could pair him up with the snakeskin.
would get a nice colour variation!

There you go with the jager heater! maybe it is just a coicindence that every time i look at the heater the light is on!

I bought 2 cones from boriania aquarium. they cost just over 20 bucks. They are not terra cotta but a hardened plastic.

Your right they do look nicer in a tank!
There is someone who sells some on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4373035341&rd=1

I am yet to buy one of those, i think they would be better as any wrigglers that fall down get caught in the little lip part of the cone.
But if they are good parents they will collect evry single wriggler!

Cheers,
Ben

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:48 AM
For this first breeding, I'd pair him with the red turq. You should have a greater chance of fry. Once he has had some experience, then put him with the snakeskin female for a higher percentage of snakeskin offspring.

Saw those clay cones on ebay. They look good. I'll be ordering a couple of them myself.

chrissyoscar
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks Merrilyn and Ben

I think I'll take your advise Merrilyn and pair him up with the female Turq. They actually paired up about a month ago and laid eggs. The eggs lasted about 50+ hours and even turned black. Since then she spends her time with the male Snakeskin and my male Red Turq. I think she's trying to decide who she wants. At the momment I've been lucky as the males haven't become to aggressive just a little fighting for now. That might be the problem, she thinks they're both wimps as they're not fighting for her. :P

Those cones on ebay are nice. I might have to get one.

Oscar

chrissyoscar
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 10:37 PM
The Jager heater is working great. The last 3 mornings the temp has been 27.4c, 27.5c, 27.4c the last 2 afternoons the temp was 27.8c and 28.8c yesterday. The big test will come in winter but the other night it did get down to 9c which is kind of cold and the heater seemed to handle it.
Almost forgot the heater is set at 28c.

Oscar

lesxda
Sat May 21, 2005, 03:15 PM
Just asking how the heaters are going
les

goldenpigeon
Sat May 21, 2005, 11:27 PM
those cones look nice and we priced too!

chrissyoscar
Sun May 22, 2005, 11:58 PM
Hi Les

The Jager heater is going great.
I now have the temp set at 30c and always find the water temp is around 28-30c.
We've had a few cold nights here in Melbourne and the heater seems to be handling it ok.

Oscar

Blue
Wed May 25, 2005, 10:46 PM
Jagers are the cheapast heater available over here.

Liverpool liverpool liverpool,
just got back from the game ( pub ) Sorry if i'm a bit short. Thjey come standard with eheim tanks so theyb are obviously superb...

Barry