PDA

View Full Version : After eggs hatched

DR.V
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 01:19 PM
Just wondering, what should i do when the eggs hatched ?
Im thinking to change the water by 20%, is that okey with the wrigler?
Not too much of changes in the water temp, pH , etc ?
Please give me other suggestion as this my 1st spawning everr

Thanks all

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 02:16 PM
Relax and enjoy. Breeding fish is supposed to be fun. Even a 10% water change each day while the fry are young will be good. Once they are a week old, and you are feeding baby brine shrimp, you will need to increase the water changes to 20% and later to 50% twice a day as they grow and you are feeding them more frequently.

DR.V
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 10:48 AM
Hello, most of the eggs are hatched now. If I do some water changes and it spook the parents , is it possible for them to eat the wrigler ??

Thanks

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 12:57 PM
Good news, that's wonderful. If you go about the water changes calmly and slowly it should be fine. If the parents start stressing out too much, just forget about changes till the fry are free swimming, in a couple of days.

dreamer
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:25 AM
they are very good parents, i never give them any special care ie. doing wc straight from tap with hose and that didnt seems to bother them at all.

their 1st spawn was in community tank and mostly hatched but were eaten by others.

Ben
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:28 AM
Well done Dr V!!!
great work!
Now is the time to strat think about hatching brine shrimp! dont leave it to the last minute!

We would luv some pics if possible!
and keep us posted on thier growth!

cheers,
Ben

DR.V
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 05:22 AM
ok will try and take some pic soon , but the tank is quite dirty coz i have done any WC hehe ...
some of the fry are still sticking to the cone but already out of the yolk. Yeah , i have to start hatching some brineshrimp. Does anyone know about the water for hatching BrineS ?? coz im gonna use some seasalt here ... thanks

DR.V
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 05:53 AM
hmmm im thinking to buy a frozen baby brine shrimp to feed my fry , is that okay ? or the live baby brine shrimp is better ??

Ben
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 06:14 AM
Dr V,
I have just started using the frozen baby brine shrimp,
from my LFS it cost $12- for 50 grams but it goes a long way!
But Lady Red made a good suggestion, start of feeding with live BBS then start weaning them over to the frozen stuff.
HTH,
Ben

Littlefish
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:17 AM
I used to use fresh seawater to hatch BBS, mainly because I live near the sea. Worked fine for me.

Don't know if there is anything better on the market nowadays.

Fred :)

DR.V
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:38 AM
hmm... i'll try to get some water from the beach tonight ^^