PDA

View Full Version : More drums...

flukes
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 08:56 AM
Found another place in Melbourne that sells cheap water barrels..

They do wine and sell heaps of fire wood. Its 600 springvale road...Just before the westall extension starts...

Any way they have
200ltr Black thin - $20
190ltr Clay color shorter but fater - $20
30ltr Grey - $15
25ltr Blue - $10

***All litres are just a guess by the size of them.***

They also have the huge wooden barrels used for wine for $100 but i dont know how they would go with water..

Ben
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 10:23 AM
great flukes!
that is only a 5 mintue drive from my work!
I am in the process of setting up a few more water aging drums!!

Bad Inferno
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 10:44 AM
Now that sound great.....

I learnt that some cheap drums have been used to transport powdered chemicals into Australia from Asia...so be careful and always wash very very well before use.

flukes
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 09:45 PM
Nope these are used for olives, and grapes. The reason they sell them is because they sell grapes.. Farily skecthy little place, and the flies omg the the flies... But the cheap drums were worth it.. Cant also pick up some grapes too make wine if you like... :wink:

WrxAnt
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hey Flukes,

Any chance you've bought some of thse drums yourself?
If so got any pics?

Cheers
Ant

Ben
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 02:09 PM
Flukes,
when i go there what shall i look for?
ie, is it a factory?

cheers mate,
Ben

flukes
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 09:55 PM
Ok its outside, a red fence on the right and heaps of fire wood on the left. Go through and there is a huge barn down the back, this is where they sell the grapes and the drums are just on the left of the barn..

I got a 30 litr one, and boy did it stink. It had olives in it, and i been cleaning it with all kinds of crap to get the smell out. Got it too a low scent now though..

Also the 30litr has a drip plate in it, perfect for a wet/dry filter.. Will post some pics when i get a chance...

wild_amazon
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:26 AM
I bought a used drum once, it was white about 180 liters. It had lime/lemon smell for months. I tried bicarbonate soda to absorb the smell but didn't help. Washed it with detergent many times etc. Eventually it went away after many months. Now I use blue drum (ex hydrocrolic acid drum), I washed it a couple of time and I have no problem with it.

flukes
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 08:54 AM
Smells gone just took a bit, this was olives though they can stink.. The 200ltr ones contain herbs or spices and are alot easier to get rid of the smell..