PDA

View Full Version : Cross breeding Rose Reds - pics warning

Dave76
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 07:41 AM
I purchased a 'pair' or Rose Reds - turns out I have a pair of lesbians :)

Both are laying every 10 days like clockwork - what do people suggest would be a good strain to cross in.

Here are some pics of confirmed males I have atm :)

Otherwise anyone in Perth with a RR male they want to stud out for a while ;)

Cheers

Dave

sunshinediscus
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Dave,

I like the idea of the snakeskin with rose red, prob get some really nice red based snakeskin from them.

Theres a breeder here in bris already crossing snow white with rose red, the babies mostly look like red/white discus. Very nice.

From a sales perspective it is prob easier to trade red ss than red white.

Rod

flukes
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 08:22 AM
Rod makes a good point, but the turq is so fine his blood lines should be past on :wink: jking Yeah id go the SS aswell..

Rod question for you what would be the dominant strain on a cross like that??

Ive read small articles on dominant strains but they were along time ago and strains have come so far since then... Would Rose red be similar too the ghost strain in terms of dominant strains...???

sunshinediscus
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 09:18 PM
Scott, i agree with you that Daves turk is a stunning discus and he should definately breed with that fish although another turk would be best. He's gorgeous, i wouldn't mind owning him myself:)

Genetics wise i don't think any of the fish Dave is breeding from would be controlled by a totally dominent gene and when they are crossed a lot of variations will result. Prob the most dominent will be the snow white, when they are crossed with another strain the result is nearly all the babies will be white based, a few will be pure snow whites and a few will be brown based but mostly they will be white based with a pattern on top like red white.
Snakeskin discus are quite unusual when breeding, whenever a ss is involved in a spawn there will always be quite a few ss babies but never 100%. So it can't be a dominent gene but nor could it be called a ressesive gene as some ss mutations will always result in a cross. I believe it is controlled by a quantative trait where 2 or more genes need to be aligned before a ss will result. Hard to be accurate with a rose red x ss but i'd guess about 25 to 50% will be ss and the rest brown based. They could then be divided into subgroups as some fry will have minimal pattern like the rose red and others will have the blue striations covering part to all of the body. Some may even look like a turquoise discus.

Rod

flukes
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 09:43 PM
Very intresting, as ive said i read an article on strains and dominance, but nothing comes down too experience, and sounds like you have crossed just about everything...

Just another quickie, coming up too sufers in June how far from there are you?? Might have to drop in for a coffee and a browse... :wink:

Dave76
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys - like I said I've got 2 RR females laying - might try one with the turq & one with the white. Just got a shortage of tanks atm :(

I've supposedly got a female in with the turq - but haven't had any action since I got them - so I suspect she is a he ??? Here is a pic of the supposed female - he/she is a very shy fish.

Dave

sunshinediscus
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 08:31 AM
Just posting a correction about the snow white X's genetics i mentioned above.

I visited a good breeder here in brisbane today , He has lots of discus but his specialty are snow whites and crosses with snow whites. He showed me babies from his pairs and these were the mix that i seen:

snow white x snow white = 100% snow white
snow white x rose red = 100% red white
red white x red white = about 10% snow white, 10% brown based, 80% red white.
snow white x red white = 50% snow white and 50% red white.

The most intersting thing i seen were amongst the red white x red white fry, there are 2 out of about 100 fry that were very clear like a snow white but were yellow all over, they looked like they will special discus when they grow up.

Rod