PDA

View Full Version : New Discus tank set up, are skimmers a good idea to use in my sump?

Brad3470
Sun Oct 16, 2016, 08:00 PM
I have been involved with saltwater tanks, and have always used a skimmer in my sump. I am getting ready to set up a 125 gallon Discus tank, and wanted to know if using a skimmer is a good idea, or if it is over kill. Thanks

sayid
Tue Oct 18, 2016, 09:52 AM
Hi Brad and welcome to the world of discus , i have been in your situation as well when i had a salt water tank and a skimmer as well ,the point is this ,the skimmer can produce a lot of micro bubbles in the salt water but can not produce as many bubbles in freshwater so there is nothing stopping you using skimmer but it will not be an efficient way of filtering your freshwater ,you are advised to use sump,canister ,HOB filter ,sponge or any combination.
I hope this helps.

raycam01_au
Wed Apr 19, 2017, 12:24 PM
skimmer not needed, better options ;)
I have added a video of my recent setup, its awesom
2fCBCXmZoY8&t=61s

sayid
Thu Apr 20, 2017, 11:58 AM
Love the husband/wife team work ,you can see passion through the voice ,love the minimalism of the tank,welcome aboard .

raycam01_au
Thu Apr 20, 2017, 12:10 PM
Love the husband/wife team work ,you can see passion through the voice ,love the minimalism of the tank,welcome aboard .

Thanks Sayid
we met through fish and share alot of passion for them, on a recent trip to japan we carried 33kilos of Seiryu rock back with us hahaaha
now with the Discus, loving it