PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter gunk

leanne31
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 02:23 PM
Hi all Ive had my canister running now for about a month and I was sitting looking at my tank today and a whole lot of white flakey gunk stuff came flying out of it into my tank what is it :?: What causes it :?: Is there any way of getting rid of it :?: And also is it ok in the tank with my fish they were eating it yuck I tried to net most out but it happened twice today and the other day when I turned my filter off and then back on after i changed my carbon. Thanks guys

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 02:52 PM
dunno wat it is but you might have to clean the filter out

weird
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 02:54 PM
I always thought it to be some type of algae, was never really worried about it ... fish have always been happy in whatever tank it happens in =)

leanne31
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys the filters only been going for a month Ive read some posts on here and they go over 3 months without cleaning i know Karen says shes has the same thing happen to her but the fish eat it so I hope its nothing toxic :?

Leanne

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 04:25 PM
It's fine, it's like some kind of edible fungus growing inside the pipes. You sometimes see it on the rubber parts of heaters and suction caps. Bristlenose catfish seem to love it.

Nothing to worry about, just unsightly.

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 10:04 PM
it will pop out of your filter when you turn the water off then back on

asthetics only not harmful

leanne31
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys when I saw them eating it I thought the worse was gonna happen I was starting to think changing from a internal to a canister was a mistake its a relief to find its ok though. :lol:

Leanne

skoom
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 11:01 AM
i've had that problem before and it is quite unsightly... so after i clean the filter now i discard the first half bucket of water before connecting the pipes again.

Bronx19
Sun May 01, 2005, 03:01 AM
Yes my tank had a serious case of this.
It grows on suction cups and anything plastic, but never glass.
When I turn my filter on adn off it comes out in big sleeves.

I have always wondered one thing, why does it come out when your turn the water off for a second, but manages to hang on when the filter is powered?