PDA

View Full Version : my 1st spawning HELP

DR.V
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 07:27 AM
Hello, i got a pair of red marlboro here. Just spawn 30mins ago after i do water change. This is my first spawn, so i dont know what to do. The female is still laying some eggs, and its white in colour.

My questions :
1. Do i still do daily water change even tough there are eggs in the cone ?
2. Do i need to add meth blue to prevent fungus ?
3. Any other suggestion will be much appreciated .

Many Thanks

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 08:55 AM
Wow - congratulations !

Don't do anything yet. Just sit back and enjoy the picture of happy family life.

You can still do gentle waterchanges but that's about it. Don't add methylene blue to the water as it interfers with the parents producing slime coating for the fry.

The area around the tank should be calm, no sudden movements, and no strangers pushing their face up to the tank. That can spook the parents, and they will eat the eggs to protect them.

Keep offering food, although some parents are so wrapped up in their eggs, they forget to eat. Just calmly syphon up any eaten food, so the tank stays clean.

The eggs will hatch within 3 days, and the black wrigglers will hang onto the cone for another two days. After that they will become free swimming and should attach to the sides of the parents. Make sure you wrap your filter intake with filter wool to prevent the fry being lost.

Leave the lights on now, all day and all night, till the fry are about 10 days old. I find it gives them a really good start to life.

Ben
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 09:40 AM
Congratulations Dr V!!!
If this is the first time this pair have spawned
there is a chance that the eggs might not be fertile.
I have found with my pairs is it take them a few goes to get it right!
But in saying that your pair might of got it right the first time!
Dont be suprised if the pair become very aggresive towards you or any other objects!
discus make great parents!

Good luck with your spawn!
also some pics would be great too!

Ben

DR.V
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 10:13 AM
the eggs are now still white. How long does it take to turn black ? black eggs mean fertiled right ?
Some pics ?? hmm maybe later on :p

This is not the first time they spawn, but this is the first time since i bought them.

Im using a sponge filter so its okey for the fry i think

Thanks for all the info

flukes
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 10:27 AM
Is the male fertilising them?? After she is laying them??

Normally within 24 hours you can tell which ones are fertile and which arnt..

Give it time though there isnt much you can do for them but let them do their thing..

DR.V
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 10:37 AM
im not sure, i just went away from the tank when i saw the female laying some eggs, didnt want to disturb them ^^

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 04:22 PM
Young fish can take a while to get things right. It's all good experience for them. White eggs don't sound too good. They should be deep orange before they turn black. White eggs aren't fertile.

Don't do anything yet, just wait and see.

Ben
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 10:43 PM
How are the eggs going Dr V?
:D

I had a young pair of blue diamonds spawn Friday nite.
They have been infertile most times maybe with less than 1/2 dozen hatching but getting eaten.
Because this pair of BD are natorious for eatening their eggs, i have caged the eggs. If possible i like to cage the eggs 24 hours after they have been laid. This can tell me roughly what % has been fertilised.

I would prefer not to cage the eggs and let mother nature run its course but this pair have eaten their eggs over 10 times. So no more Ben bieng trusting with this pair!

I have attached some pics, sorry not the best photography but you should be able to see that the eggs are dark and have been fertilised.

HTH

Ben

goldenpigeon
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 11:45 PM
what size tank do you spawn them in ben?

Ben
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 12:11 AM
Hey junior!
good question!

I have more tanks than brain cells!
But i have the blue diamonds in a standard 4 foot tank by them selves, a bit of wasted room. but they are growing well and putting on some great size!
other pairs are in 3 foot tanks.
I also have a 6 footer with bits of everything in it, more of a grow up tank.

cheers Kiddo!

Ben

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 12:50 AM
i thought you didnt have much of a brain!!!! LOL

k im thinking of what size tanks im gonna have for my pair. they keep poppin up!

Ben
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:27 AM
Hey Junior,
personally i would recommend a 3 footer,
many reasons.
I just have some of my pairs in 4 footers because i have had the tanks for a while now.

cheers big ears!
Ben

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:28 AM
hahahaha ......... y am i laughing

DR.V
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 03:59 AM
hhmm i'll try to cage mine as well then
now the eggs are a bit yellowish ... is that a good sign ??

Ben
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 04:19 AM
Dr V i would wait another 12 hours to tell if the eggs are fertile.
Its always a good idea to try and let the parents look after the eggs before you cage them.
i give my pairs around 6 chances, if they keep eating thier eggs then i will cage them every time.

HTH
Ben