PDA

View Full Version : white spot

pitchblack
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:19 PM
hey there all when everything was going well it seems to always be the way a problem occurs... we would like to live in a perfect world. I purchased a few cardinals last week and now they have what Im suspecting as white spot. I rany my lfs and he said that its just debree???? but its spreading to my other fish yep and the discus are starting to get the spot only slightly.. Ive dosed the tank with blue stuff will get some more tom as i have run out but how long do you dose the tank for???? and when the spot has dissappeared do you still keep dosing for a few days after or not???

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately, you have found out why we keep saying to quarantine any new fish before they go into your established tank. Disease can come in on even the smallest and healthiest looking fish.

It's actuallly quite unusual to get white spot in the discus tank, because of the high temperatures we use. However, there is now a resistant strain that can survive in temps up to 32 degrees.

Get a good quality Ick remedy from your local fish shop, and treat for the full period recommended (usually 5 days).

White spot can be fatal if left untreated. The spots eventually cover the gill membrane and the fish suffocates.