PDA

View Full Version : sacem filter

kristie
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:20 AM
We just bought a used aquarium that has a Sacem filter system built into it.I have only used bio-wheels so I know nothing of how to set thsi up nor did the guy I bought it from.Can anyone please please telll me how to work this thind.Im just lost.Ive tried to look online and found no help!!!Ive added pictures of this thing plus some extra parts that I have no idea where to put.So if anyone knows about theses things please help!! :D
Thanks so much,
From lost chick in texas

Proteus
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:31 AM
Is it a sacem marathon canister???

(if so which model)

btw, welcome to DF.com

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 06:59 AM
Hi Kristie and a big welcome to the discus forum.

Can you tell me a bit more about your filtration system. Is it in the hood of your tank, or is it a separate hang on or cannister filter.

I'm sure we can work it out together.

kristie
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:14 PM
Its one that is built in .Its in a big box inside the aquarium.I have picture that I can send but I wasnt sure how to get them on here?It says model-800s

flukes
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 08:32 AM
ok if you have the picture on the web somewhere click just above the text box. enter the url of the picture and then press [img] again..

If no you must go to the photo gallary and upload the pic too discus forums...

Cant really help you with the filter, wait for Ro or Merz...

kristie
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:12 PM
[link removed - faulty]

Here's the pictures of the filter

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:41 PM
Got your email with the photos, thanks. What you have is what's called a built in wet/dry filter. The extra black sponge fits inside the rectangular black box. The tube thing has a stop flow valve on the end :(that's the clear part) which prevents water being drawn back into the tube and down to the air pump. It goes into the airline about halfway between the filter and the pump.

They were a fairly inefficient filter, so my advice would be to remove it if possible, and replace it with a good quality cannister filter. I've had similar filters to that, in the past, and found that cannisters work about 5 times better.

Hope that helps.

kristie
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:47 PM
Merrily,
Thanks for helping me with this.the problem I have with taking this thing out is that its built into the aquarium.I guess someone made this thing wholemade.I cant seem to understand what the littel side box on the left is for.It seems like the water doesnt move.So you are saying that the air hose goes hooked to what part?I know Im lost here.Sorry!!I will catch on to this stuff hopefully.

kristie
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:48 PM
And I forgot to ask where do these extra parts I have seem to go.

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:59 PM
It looks like the water comes out of the series of holes along the bottom of the filter, is that right? The grey pipe in the middle, is that the intake, or another outlet.

The way those filters work is by taking water into one end and either spraying it across the media at the top of the filter and letting it fall thru the media and out thru the series of holes OR sucking water into one end, then thru the series of compartments filled with media, and pumped out into the tank at the other end of the box.

Tell me which way yours seems to flow, and I'll try to figure it out for you. The spare bits are part of the filter media and probably go in the first compartment. The airline is probably optional. It just puts extra oxygen bubbles into the return water.

kristie
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 02:05 PM
thanks so much.Im going to print this out so I can take it home for hubby to read .I think this will help him alot.

kristie
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 01:13 PM
Well I think we have the filter up and running.Thanks for the help.
Kristie

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 10:51 PM
Great news. Glad to help.